54.

Staying true to her promise the other night, Amara told her friends about her experience with the door. The reactions weren't what she expected. Camilla, Gina and Rose asked her if they could come with her to the door. Without a flicker of hesitance, she led them down to the corridors. Unfortunately, no doors that shone brilliant light greeted them.

Grateful she was that they didn't think of her as delusional or that she lost her marbles. Instead, they led her to breakfast. Where they met Amitee. Gina filled her in with Amara's permission. As per usual, Camilla was miffed to share anything with her. But Amara knew it was a sign of repressed infatuation.

"We should go check the library," Amitee pointed with her knife. "There must be something there about magical doors in this school."

Luna piped up from her other side. "Why would the door not show itself after it did before? Is it really that important if it doesn't answer your call?"

Amara had wondered the same thing prior to falling asleep. It was swiftly answered with the same dream as always. Spinning doors. And George's voice telling her that he had a crucial role to play.

That was the eeriest detail about it all. Of late it had only needed her. Yet, now it needed him too. This made her feel protective over George. She didn't want to tell him because, naturally, he'll want to help. She had no problem with him helping.

Though, Amara's predicament was that it could deal him the same disadvantages it had her. Bad dreams and mysterious ways of ending up in the hospital wing. No, not him. Not any of her friends.

It was a pity she had no choice in the matter. She had a feeling the dark object would continue to sear its instruction in her head unless she followed it. She couldn't keep George away from it. The best she could do was prolong it.

She turned from her dark thoughts to her friends.

"I had the dream last night," Amara exhaled, massaging her temple. "It may not answer me but it'll make sure I answer it."

The group held their collective breath to register this solemn truth

"I'm coming with you to the library," Amitee declared.

In their free period, they pounced on everything the library had to offer. In spite of the seemingly endless stacks, they couldn't find a thing. The dark object really liked teasing her and leaving her with nothing.

She hated the overwhelming sensation of standing on the precipice of something new. Something amazing. Only to blink and having nothing except the memory of it to savour. Closing a book, she mumbled a curse.

Maybe she shouldn't have ran away. She could've uncovered the door's secret then and there. But, she wasn't ready then. She wasn't prepared for what it truly was.

Amitee sent up two books to be shelved. She too had come up high and dry. "I couldn't find anything. It's like its even not real," she paused, guilt flitting across her face. "It is real. The problem is that it's very..."

"Secretive," Amara licked her dry lips.

"Yeah."

"You do believe me, though, right?" Amara wanted to know she wasn't seeing a mirage.

Amitee inhaled. "I believe you. I do. It's just that I can't help doubting a little..."

She trailed off. Amara nodded, knowing what she meant. She checked her watch.

"It's almost time for double Transfiguration. I have to go," Amara gathered her things.

Amitee and her separated, setting off for their own classes.