16.

After the sudden news, Zane became angry with Madeline and Amara. The first few days, he gave them the cold shoulder. No dad jokes. No hugs. No twinkling eyes. It made the Shacklebolt girls feel unsettled.

Thankfully, it deflated on the day Madeline moved out.  Amara could see he was letting down his wall of anger. She was glad. Nevertheless, he was still upset. He was himself, except hurt. Though, a momentary smile would form when Madeline came for dinner on weekends.

Madeline's presence no longer graced the halls of her home like it had done so often. Zane only had Amara to chat with and laugh with. Only he and his younger daughter would go to McDonald's to feast on delicious McChickens.

Amara experienced the same vacantness. Her sister was hardly there. Her bed was untouched. Neglected, her broom was propped against the wall. Amara couldn't just stick her head into the room and tell her that dinner was ready. It felt wrong.

All these consequences just so her sister could get laid.

The only day they were happy was when Amara got her OWL results. She had almost fainted when she had seen that she got all Outstandings! Zane found her on the floor of the kitchen crying happy tears. As a celebratory gift, Zane had gotten five books from Amara's favorite bookstore.

Today, Zane was at work. Amara stayed at home, alone. She had slept until the early noon light spilled from the curtains. She had no plans that dragged her out of bed. Her friends had not written back recently. James was working full-time. Poor James. 

James was working extra time to earn more money for his apartment nearby Diagon Alley. The last time they had hung out was a few days ago for his birthday. James, Peter and she had just gone out to Muggle London. They had just roamed the center of the city.

The Quidditch Cup final was tomorrow. It was the Irish vs. the Bulgarians. The anticipation for this match plagued the Daily Prophet. It was all people could talk about. Even for individuals like Amara who did not normally like Quidditch. The hype had gotten into Amara's blood.

A shape materialized out of thin air. It made Amara yelp and roll off the couch she was sitting on. The book she was reading fell next to her. Madeline stared down at her sister. The corners of her mouth were raised, amused.

"Hey, sister," Madeline laughed.

"Damn, Maddie. Can't you just Apparate to the door and knock?" groaned Amara, pushing herself off the floor. "Here for dinner and to watch the finals with us?"

Madeline squealed suddenly. She clasped her hands. She jumped in her spot, before landing on a couch. Her smile was wide. This sudden act of excitement creeped out Amara.

"Erm. Sis, what's up with the sudden excitement?" inquired Amara, edging away from her sister.

Sighing, Madeline took an enormous envelope from her jacket pocket. Two thin tickets with golden lettering on them. On them was written The Quidditch World Cup Final: Bulgaria vs. Ireland. Ah, that's why, thought Amara.

"Nice. You and Tom are going?" Amara asked, not particularly thinking it was nice.

Truth be told, Madeline was growing apart from them. Despite the family's strong bond over the years, it seemed like Maddie was trying to break from it. Even if she came for dinners on the weekend, she never stayed for more longer. 

Amara wished she knew why.

"Yes! Dad sent them to us. It was a housewarming gift. He's the best dad," smiled Madeline.

"I'm glad you realized that."

Madeline gave her perplexed expression.

"Um, what?"