32.

Right after her fight with George, she had gone up to the Owlery to send her father a letter. She requested him to send her a mail-order catalog from this fancy dress store. The store had beautiful dresses which could fit to her size.

Immediately, he sent it back. Amara showed her friends all the options. They were overjoyed that she was making an effort. Rose revealed she thought Amara would show up in her pajamas and sneakers.

Her order became confirmed and was going to be delivered the night before Christmas. All she had left to do was put labels on her already wrapped presents. Her work was cut out for her. When she got back from the Owlery, she had wrapped presents in fury.

Lying on her bed, she wrote Fred's name in pretty cursive on a label. In the corner of her eye, George's present taunted her. Flashes of their fight plagued her mind. She just thought of the way he looked at her. Like she was deranged. 

For some reason, she thought George would never see her like that.

She bared her hand to write his name. It felt like ripping a bandage off. She stuck the label on his present, shoving it under her bed. Since they were 'fighting', Amara did not know how to give it to him. Would she cool down by Christmas? There was one day left.

Throwing the thought far away, she forced herself to finish her homework. Her friends were in Hogsmeade. Even though it was not Saturday, students were allowed to get dresses for the ball. Rose tried to get some shoes sent to her but had failed. Camilla wanted to get last-minute presents and Gina was just bored.

A tapping sound startled Amara. It came from the window. A big owl was trying to get through. Laughing at the owl's determination, she went to let it in. It entered, hooting happily. A big box was strapped to its leg. The weight made the owl sway.

"How on earth did a small creature like you carry this?" she scratched the owl's head. "A charm?"

The owl hooted in reply. It was a lovely barn owl. Affectionately, it pecked her hand. Athena came out from Rose's bed, eyes locked on it. "Oh no!" Amara rushed to the window and released the owl. Athena loved attacking innocent owls. Especially Camilla's.

Growls reverberated from Athena. She had found a new target; the box. She scratched her claws on the sides of the box. Amara lifted Athena and lowered her onto the floor. She touched the package with her wand. "Alohomora."

As soon as the package opened, Athena pounced on it. Inside the box sat a bundled package, a rectangle box, a velvet pouch, and a letter. What was all of this, thought Amara. She only ordered a dress.

First, she opened the bundled package. Crepe paper encased it. A white ribbon wound it up. Excitement bubbling, she unwrapped it. The crepe paper fell to the floor forgotten. "My dress!" Amara squealed.

She admired the midnight blue. The fabric slipped through her fingers. The bodice was plain and pleated. A thousand stars glittered on the skirt. Satin, flowy sleeves cascaded, elegant. Even Athena jumped on the bed to see it.

"Shoo, Athena!" Amara scolded, hanging the dress on her wardrobe.

She checked the rest of the items. The rectangular box was bound by another ribbon. In no time, Amara removed them. Lifting the lid, she gasped. Inside the box was silver kitten heels. Her dad must have sent this by his own accord.

Snatching the letter from under Athena's paws, she skimmed it.

'Dear Amara,

 I am so happy you are going to the Yule Ball. I thought you would come home and resort to reading like you always did. It is great you are trying new things. Anyway, I have an amazing surprise. You probably saw it. The shoes were chosen by yours truly. Don't I have the greatest taste? Am I not the coolest dad? Speaking of being the coolest dad, I hope you like what was in the pouch.'