66.

"For us?"

"Oh, you shouldn't have!"

Ear to ear grins plastered on their faces, the twins exchanged mischievous looks. Lee set the birthday cake on the picnic blanket Amara had set down before in anticipation. Both of them had planned this surprise along with Ron and Ginny a week in advance.

The late afternoon sun sparkled in the waves of the Black Lake. Up in the tree above them, birds sang sweet melodies. Amara lit the candles with her wand. Hermione clapped while Ron, Harry and Ginny whooped.

A heavy dollop of vanilla frosting dressed the cake. Eighteen candles fashioned a spiral on top of it. "You know what comes next, don't you?" Lee said and clapped his hands authoritatively.

Happy Birthday to you!

Happy Birthday, Gred and Forge.

Happy Birthday to you!

"Make a wish!" Hermione and Harry called out.

Laughing, Fred and George blew their candles together. Smoke danced in spirals as the group all rejoiced. Fred cut a cake slice to stuff it into his mouth with a childish growl. Booing him, Lee tackled him into the ground. Ron joined in by smacking his brother's butt.

Giggles and chuckles mingled with the pure joy in the air. In the corner of Amara's eye, George took a swipe at the frosting. A hum from him drew the other girls' attention to him.

"Oi, it seems like someone is stealing a bite without including us," Ginny piped up.

"Doesn't that seem unfair, Hermione?" Amara's lips curled.

Nodding, Hermione eyed the cake. "The birthday cake is a group tradition, George. We've to fix this."

At their reckless gazes, George scuttled backwards but it was too late. The three girls dove to him. Each swiped a large bit of frosting. He fell on his back. Ginny went for the first kill, her elbow crushing her brother's intestines and smeared frosting all over his cheeks. In her polite mischief, Hermione smacked a handful on his forehead.

They released him and stood back to admire their handiwork. George chuckled weakly. He tried to raise himself up. Amara had other plans. Giddy, she tackled him and used his ribs as support to dab large dollops all over his face. When she was done with him, only the tip of his nose was bare.

For a pause, her eyes roamed his face covered in cream. And his own, alarmed, met hers. Even with all this cream, he was so adorable. His brow furrowed. A strand of her hair obstructed her sight partially. Without considering it too much, he tucked the hair behind her ear.

Panic jolted Amara into motion. She spread the rest of the frosting to his nose, making him guffaw. He shook his head at her then the other girls. "Can't get past you," he smirked. "But you lot can't get past me either."

The three girls seemed to be several steps ahead of him and dashed off in diverging directions.

He didn't manage to catch one of them. Later, the sun close to gone, they headed back to the castle. Amara and him hung back in the group. She wiped her handkerchief across his cheeks and forehead and finally, his nose. He didn't know why he let her stop him just to get frosting off. It wasn't like he cared how silly he looked.

However, when they started walking again, he wished he froze the moment. Wherever she touched him, it tingled like she had changed him forever. His nerves stood up at this revelation.

———

Wispy, silver threads of light wound around Amara. She squinted at it before it disappeared, trying to understand what it was. Her Patronus seemed shy to show itself.