71.

The trees shifted their leaves by an inch as the sun glared down. Underneath one, two students reclined in its shade and enjoyed the view of the Black Lake. They frequented this spot since the weather warmed with temperature, and suffocation of future plans.

It's everything all would talk about on days like these when exams sucked the life out of them and left them to dream of free summer days. Amara's own friends fretted this often at day's end. Not that she joined them.

She didn't dare to stare ahead. Despite the embrace of a boy with a dazzling grin waiting for at the end of this month, June, there was uncertainty and job hunting too. She kept her head down and persisted with exams.

The threads of her friendships seemed to untie themselves. She should've been alarmed except she couldn't bother to tie them back in pretty patterns. It felt like all of them intended to make space for a new life and newer friendships too. Their conversations dithered to greetings, small talk, and nothing promoting the love they had for each other once.

Amara's gut wrenched to the ground at the possibility of the rest knowing at the start that this friendship expired at the end of their school career. At least she had James, Luna, the twins and Lee who skipped rocks on the Black Lake as she had these solemn reflections.

"Nineteen more days and we'll be free out there," he said. Delicate ripples accented his throwing. "No exams. No learning. No Umbridge."

Amara's mouth twisted. "I think I will miss the learning."

"There are much better things to do than learning."

"Like what?"

"Like going to pubs, having money of your own..." Lee threw a smirk over his shoulder. "More places to snog rather than a broom closet. Don't tell me you won't be looking forward to that, this summer?"

"George and I didn't snog in the broom closet, Lee!" She scolded him, cheeks hot.

"Okay, almost then. Aren't you the least bit excited to see him?"

"I am."

"Then?"

"Just because I'm excited to see him," she added. "And Freddie, it doesn't mean it won't be hard to leave. Don't you love this place?"

She spread out her arms towards the castle. Lee scrutinized it and shrugged. "I do but I knew I'll be leaving someday. It doesn't make sense to be attached to it, Amara. Once all your friends leave, what else is left for you? Just bricks and—"

"—Home," she interjected before she could realize. "Or memories of it being home."

Lee abandoned his stones at the shore and trudged up to her. He sat down. "This isn't the end of your life. It's a new beginning. Isn't that what you told George?"

Amara's slouching head sprang up. She couldn't suppress the smile tugging at the corners of her mouth. "He talks about the things I say?" She warmed at the thought.

"Ugh, yes. He hangs on your every word. Every time he had a good day or night with you, I hear him going on to Fred about it. I join, sometimes, out of curiosity," Lee laughed. "I wondered what George liked so much about a quiet Ravenclaw girl who called their pranks 'mean'."

She gazed at the dancing grass and replied. "I honestly don't know."

"My point was," Lee side-eyed her, reminding her so much of Professor McGonagall. "Your memories are with you wherever you go. They don't die here and you don't die here either. You've new ones to make. A boy to go out with. More Christmases, more friends. Like me."