36.

James and Amara were back to normal. The talk he had with George had done wonders for his self-esteem. Later, Amitee smugly informed Camilla that it was her (and Luna's) doing. Camilla shrugged it off. She was not going to succumb to the arrogance of the pretty, French girl's snobbery.

Amara's mood had improved. Yet some darkness loomed over her head. Camilla discussed this with her friends. They had no idea. She was less grumpy and more...sad. There bared no difference between her and a dam which was close to breaking.

Camilla wished she could read her mind.

___

Three weeks ago...

Her letter had been answered. And it was not the best response. Amara excused herself and left the hall. She set herself down on the stairs. Her fingers fumbled to tear the envelope open.

Her father's handwriting greeted her with warmth. Her homesick heart throbbed. She could smell his cooking. She could even imagine sitting on the couch while he stood in the kitchen. The day which she could go back to that could not be further away. Shaking her head, she read the letter.

 As she read on, her chest caved in with every word.

'Dear Amara,

I was happy to get your letter. Frankly, I was hoping you had words about the Yule Ball. The Weird Sisters were there. I know Maddie and you enjoy their music. Imagine my surprise when I read it to see you were warning me about Tom. 

I remember you told me that Tom was dangerous that day when Madeline wanted to skip that dinner. You told me my assumptions were misplaced. I believed you. Of course, I believe you again this time.

I wrote to Madeline. With the same thoughts in mind. She told me you were being too paranoid (her words, not mine) and that Tom wanted to have dinner to clear these assumptions. I was surprised. I have not had any face-to-face conversation with Tom for a long time. Let alone any communication.

Dare I say it was refreshing?

We had a long dinner. The food was excellent. Tom recommended the best dishes and paid actually. I asked him how his life was with Madeline. He seemed to love talking about her. He knew her quite well. I detected no warning signs.

I thank you for your concern. However, as Madeline said, you are too concerned. I think you are being too paranoid. Again Madeline's words, not mine. Or...is this a practical joke? I know you are becoming very close to the Weasley twins. It must be the influence. If this is that, I would be angry.

Anyway, I would love to hear about the ball instead. It has been almost a month since then. I don't know if you enjoyed it or not. I love you. Emily misses you too.

Love,

Dad'

Folding the letter, she stared at the floor. She expected her father to have some concern. Instead, she got half-baked accusations thrown at her. Paranoid, huh? The letter crumpled up in her hand. The change in Tom's behaviour was strange. He had acted so differently than the other two times.

Her father, a fucking auror, did not notice?

Emitting a low groan, she returned to the Great Hall. She threw the letter into the trash on her way. She did not believe one word her father wrote. It made zero sense. There was definitely something peculiar.

Tom Rosewood knew what the fuck he was doing, dismissing assumptions before it hit the fan.

She tried to force out the hard anger building in her stomach. Her face stiffened as she frowned.  Relaxing her facial muscles, she sat down next to Luna. Thank Merlin, Luna was busy reading the Quibbler. She did not have the energy to answer to 'Are you okay' or 'Why do you look constipated'.