24.

October left a bitter taste in her mouth. She had started the month with optimism for her investigation. However, it ended in fights with friends and a dead end in the investigation. She had such high hopes for it. Even her homework submissions earned none of its usual appraise.

All she felt was disappointment.

Daybreak sliced through the curtains. Light disturbed Amara's eyes. Damn sunrise. She rolled to her side. Her friends still slept soundly. Of course, they did. Their bed did not lie directly in front of the window. She laid in bed until Gina began stirring. If Gina awoke now, the race for the shower was going to start.

She scrambled out of bed. Her feet stuffed into warm boots in preparation for the icy tiles. Today, she was to gain the reward of the first hot shower. As she tied her hair up, a strange sadness scratched its way into her heart. She turned the faucet, steaming hot water pouring in response. Where this sadness had come from, she wondered.

Then, it hit her. This charade had gotten old. Tiptoeing around her friends. Waking up earlier to avoid the overwhelming, awkward silence. Or worse. Listening to them chatter on without acknowledging her existence. It added salt on her already stinging wound.

When she finished, Gina waited. Her brown eyes met Amara's. She simply nodded in acknowledgment, a hand on the doorknob. Amara's heart soared, drinking in the familiar comfort. She had looked at her! And nodded.

Things were looking up.

Amara left before Rose and Camilla awoke. As usual, she had her heavy bag in tow. Her brain now brightened in possibility. After all, it was November the first. Meaning, snow expected them very soon. Not to mention, the Triwizard Tournament.

Like her, Harry Potter seemed to have lost some of his friends. Hermione Granger stayed loyal. Ron Weasley, although, became part of those who accused Harry of cheating. Cheating at getting his name into the goblet of fire. Almost the entire school turned their backs on him. They even started wearing those ugly, Potter Stinks/ Support Cedric Diggory badges.

Someone had tried to sell her one, but Amara rejected it.

Despite their brother being aggravated by Harry, the Weasley twins sported no badges. It did not stun Amara. First of all, they were serious about opening their joke shop, they had no time to hate. Second, they liked Harry. Third, when have they ever followed the crowd?

As soon as she reached her seat, George noticed her. He saluted her with his tie loosened, hanging on his shoulders. Amara found herself aching to fix his shoddy work. Perfectionism proved to be her vice. She saluted back, grin widening. Fred turned to see her.

He waved, politely. Amara smiled. Fred turned back to talking to Lee Jordan, who was waving at her too. Merlin, her arm hurt now. In what universe, did she possess multiple acquaintances? She nodded at him, smiling at him too.

The three boys returned to their conversation.

A hand touched Amara's shoulder. With a flinch, she swatted the hand away. "You're too jumpy."

James peered down at her, smiling. His brown hair shone. He must have washed it. Unlike George, he dressed in the proper way. His perfect tie hidden in his grey jumper. His skin bore no trace of the usual teenage anguish; no pimples. Amara deemed this unfair to her and her fellow acne-ridden teenagers.

"What are you staring at?" James opened his mouth, eyes widening.

"Nothing," Amara blurted, too quickly.

"Can I sit here?" James gestured to her right.

A soft voice answered the question for Amara. "That's my seat."