18.

The news of the Dark Mark hung in the air like sulfur. The Daily Prophet made the shocking affair the front page. It wreaked the deepest fears in people's hearts. No one knew what to think. Everyone was curious. Everyone was fearful. However, all one could do was to just resume one's life.

That what was Amara was doing. She twirled her wand with her fingers. Usually, Zane would help her cram all her things into the trunk. Today was unusual. He was on a surprise day date with his girlfriend. Emily had wanted to grab breakfast.

Amara decided to leave them be. Alone, she ate her French toast, in silence. Only Athena would occasionally meow. Zane wanted some romantic time with his girlfriend. Sticking where you were not needed was always awkward. Amara shuddered at the memory of being the third wheel in primary school. 

Amara let herself drop onto the mattress. Athena, who was lying there, yelped. She gave Amara an accusing look. She started to lick her paw. Muttering a tiny apology, Amara petted the feline's forehead.

An hour left till they arrived to drop her off at Kings Cross. She could not wait to see her friends, James and perhaps, check on the Weasley twins. It was her sixth year. The uncertainties of the year should not make her anxious. But she could not help it.

She shook her worries away. She remembered her father speaking about her not wanting to return on Christmas. Was that just a passive way of telling Amara to back off from Zane's and Emily's relationship? Probably, Madeline would spend time with her boyfriend's. Amara did not want to admit it. But, she knew Madeline wanted more boyfriend time despite them living in the same flat.

___

Whilst reading another Agatha Christie novel, she heard her father and Emily calling her down. The car ride to Kings Cross was lonesome. Despite the two people in front of her, the feeling stayed. Cold and persistent. Zane and Emily's playful banter filled the car's atmosphere. It suffocated Amara, cornering her to the edge.

After a hug and a goodbye, Amara disappeared inside the train. In her hands, was a present from Emily. Surprised, Amara had accepted it. It was wrapped in a lovely blue wrapping paper. It was quite a fat package. It was a box, Amara guessed.

She peeked into random compartments. Her friends were not on the platform, yet. Rose and Gina went to Hogwarts by other means. James was probably in the seventh year compartment. He had been made prefect of Hufflepuff. Camilla was the only one who would be waiting for her.

There were six minutes till the train ran. Most probably, she had already secured a compartment. They were waiting for her, she hoped. She wanted to be somewhere she was wanted. "Where are you Camilla?" she said to herself, trying to get a glimpse at various compartments.

Finally, she saw Camilla's face smiling. Except not at her. Someone else was in the compartment. A stranger. A girl with lovely dark red hair. She had green eyes. Her ivory skin shone. And Camilla was enchanted. So enchanted that it sparkled in her eyes.

Amara rapped the door with her knuckles. Camilla jolted like she was awakened from a pleasant dream. Her eyes held confusion then recognition. She motioned for her to enter. Lugging the big box and her trunk AND Athena's cage, she stumbled into the compartment.

"Whoa there," the girl spoke like she was speaking to an unsettled horse.

She had a mature yet, sweet sounding voice. Just like how Camilla liked it. She took Amara's trunk. She opened the overhead compartment, pushing it in. She released Athena's cage from Amara's hands, setting her on an empty seat. "Take a seat, Amara," she smiled.

Camilla was staring at the girl, awestruck. Was Amara intruding again? Was this an unavoidable situation? Yikes, she thought. "Thank you," Amara weakly grinned. "What's your name?"