70.

Letters to George

12th May 1996

Dear George,

I'm strangely relieved you aren't too frustrated at waiting for long for me. Like you said, we needed time to know each other. I feel like there's still a lot to know about you and yet I feel like I've known you forever.

That skirmish with the supplier sounds terrifying. I can't believe that Freddie wanted to duel him. Thanks for stopping him. Wasn't he a criminal of some sorts? He was selling dragon tears and that doesn't sound legal at all. I have read that those are forbidden in most countries in Europe and in some Arab countries. Dragon tears are too sacred to be collected and require them to go through immense pain to shed. I don't know if you knew that. For that, I'm relieved you tore up your contract with that man. I want you both to be safe.

Don't be too envious of Lee's letter though he's a great Transfiguration partner. He pays attention. Haha. Know I'm pulling your leg. I do miss having you next to me in Transfiguration. You were the most annoying and endearing partner. No one can do it as well as you.

So does that last sentence count as flirting? You told me flirting wasn't just 'saying nice things, it's an art'. Okay, then. Never seen you serious and inflamed like this before. We had a role switch. I'm the serious one and you're the lighthearted one. I didn't know we were interchangeable.

I strongly protest against a broom ride together. I never told you of my accident on Madeline's broom when I was six. Long story short, I got stuck on a tree and fell three feet. My arm broke and now I can't get on a broom without having flashes of that incident. Let's keep the broom ride for another time, okay?

Anyway, I have to go now, George. I miss you too. Anything you want to say to me just write it here. I don't care if it doesn't make sense. Tell me everything. I mean it.

Oh, wait, I forgot to write about my day. I'm doing fine. A lot of self isolation again. I haven't been talking much with my friends. We are all doing our own thing. I don't know but we seem to be in our own worlds. Luna and I often study together in our common room. Amitee is always taking walks with Camilla. Rose is writing either an essay or a love song. Gina is...Gina.

I have other stuff to say but I'll update you later. I really have to go.

Love, Amara

P.S More kisses attached. Please make good use of them.

P.S.S The Dukes from Honeydukes asked for you that day. Also do you want me to send you sweets?

20th May 1996

Dear George,

Before you start reading, I want to tell you there's a packet of the candy you wanted with the letter. The Honeydukes were happy to know I was getting candy for you and Fred. Of course, you asked for Licorice Wands. I am not at all surprised.

Exams are underway and I can't even describe how much of a mess I am. You would laugh or at least raise your eyebrows in concern. I keep losing things, freaking out over practice exams, and tipping over ink bottles in the middle of the exam. The invigilators have gotten very cross with me!

I really want to make a good life for myself. I want to be the best I can be and get as many Outstandings and get a good job for myself. Although I really don't know what that looks like. This is the first time ever in my life I don't have a plan. I feel like I will enter the world, completely blank. It makes me feel foolish. Shouldn't I know these things? My friends seem to know where they're heading but I'm just too confused at the moment.

Okay enough of my complaining, I have nice things to say too. Lee and I have become fast friends. I'm helping him revise for NEWTS. We're helping each other actually. We joke a lot about you two. I learnt a lot about your failed pranks from him. I have a lot of questions to ask you. Why did you feel the need to scare owls from the Owlery? I remember that day. My dad's owl returned to him quite frazzled. I distinctly remember it couldn't hoot for a week.