33.

George's night was going lovely. Katie has shown up thirty minutes after the ball had started. It angered George that she did not even apologize. But, he let go of his temper and danced with her. They were having fun.

 The ball was going fine until she ditched him.

He had gotten worried something had happened to her. The firewhiskey he snuck in must have made her sick he had thought. George did not expect her to leave him stag. After all, Katie was his friend and fellow Quidditch teammate. His temper returned when he saw her hanging out with a Durmstrang bloke in the corner of the ballroom.

Lonely and dateless, he hung out with Fred and Angelina. They did not mind him being there with him. Fred might have. He had an enormous crush on Angelina. Though, Fred did not tell him to go away. Perhaps, Fred pitied him.

Sensing awkwardness in their little group, he searched for Lee. He and his date had split up. He was just hanging out with some Beauxbaton boys by the dessert table. George headed there. Then, a short figure bumped into him. He opened his mouth to say something snarky. Instead it dropped.

 Amara.

He had not seen her since Hogsmeade. Well, he did sneak glimpses of her at the Ravenclaw table. This was different. It was straight on contact. Miffed, he decided he was going to ignore her. Except, she was crying.

Tears rolled, in gushing amounts. He had never seen her cry like this. Briefly, she looked up, eyes red. With that, she began crying harder. George wondered if it had something to do with their fight the other day. As she turned to leave, he grabbed her hand.

Shocked at his actions, she goggled at him. Yet, she let him take her to a deserted table. Somewhere she could cry in peace. And maybe tell him what she was crying about. She stared at the floor, avoiding George's gaze.

"What happened?" he broke the ice.

Amara shook her head. More tears fell. George found his hand wiping them away. Amara flinched at his touch at first. She did not smack his hand. He was thankful she did not. This boldness of his came from some hidden place. 

"Amara? Did something happen?"

Head buried in his shoulder, she sobbed. George did not know what to do. He dealt with a crying girl before; his sister. Although, that was because she had been rescued from the Chamber of Secrets. She was traumatized. Amara was crying for a completely different reason.

Amara's hand found his and held it tightly. George almost had a heart attack. The girl he liked a lot was holding his hand. Holding his hand! To his sorrow, he realized, this was not romantic. She just needed comfort, nothing else.

But, he was perfectly fine with just being her friend if she needed him to be.

"H-He p-probably...He probably...h-h-hates me," she spoke, throat shuddering from her sobs.

"Who?"

"J-J-James."

"Why would he? You are wonderful," George caressed her head. He meant every word.

"I-I am not!" She squeaked, looking up at him with wide eyes. "He told me he likes me romantically and I told him I did not!"

George's stomach fell. So, James was bold enough to confess. He regretted his own cowardice. He should have been brave and confessed first. He was going to do it that day in Hogsmeade. Though, seeing her in person left him at a loss of words. "You don't?"

Amara's hand clutched his tighter. "No."

"So what? It's not his fault you don't like him," George assured her.