31.

A letter arrived for Amara. Her dad's owl hooted in greeting, landing on the table. Amara scratched his head. He was not even pecking her hand like he usually did. He must be in a good mood. Or her father had been increasing his food intake. "Do you want something to eat?" Amara offered some bread.

The owl almost bit off her fingers. Amara scowled, flicking his wing. "Go on then!"

With offended hooting, the owl took off. 

A cold draft blew into her neck. She shivered, turning. "What's up, date?" James grinned.

James slid into an empty seat beside her. Something had changed about him since she had asked him to the ball. He had this happy air about him. A big smile found its way to her face. James' happiness must be contagious.

"Good morning."

"Mornin'," he glanced at her letter. "Who is that from? A love letter?"

Amara almost guffawed. Love letters, what a peculiar idea. As if someone fancied her.

"No. It's from my dad," she replied. 

Mouth forming an 'O', he bobbed his head. "Letters from parents. Well, I will leave you to it," James said. "See you later."

Muttering a 'bye', Amara carefully opened the letter. The address was different. Perhaps he was staying at Emily's. Her bedroom flashed in her head. A sense of loneliness rushed in. She missed home.

'Dear Amara,

Madeline told me you replied to her letter. I am sorry to say this. That was in poor taste. You made your sister guilty for being happy. I know she is leaving us, but be more courteous. Don't worry about Madeline. I will deal with that myself. Anyway, the news about the Yule Ball is out. I hope you are going. If you are, send me a letter to get you a nice dress. Waiting to hear from you.

Love, your dad'

With a groan, she shoved the letter into the envelope. Of course, Madeline would tell their father. Her father disapproved of it as well. No one thought something was wrong with Madeline and Tom.  All this made her think she was the only one who treasured her family. She slammed the envelope down.

 "Are you angry?" a voice asked, causing her to jump.

Another intruder. This time it was George Weasley.  His eyes darted between the letter and her. A green fleck stood out in his brown irises. She had never noticed that before. Face burning, she diverted her thoughts. 

"How long were you sitting there?" she murmured, lips pulled down.

"Just for three minutes," he grinned. "Now answer my question. Are you angry?"

The letter had been written by a confused man. Her father, too, was hurt. He did not know when to step in or not. He was probably more worried than Amara was. It would be unfair to direct her anger at her father.

Taking a deep breath, she whispered her answer: "I am not."

George cocked his head as if to say 'Really?'.

"I am sure. I am just—Nevermind," she shook her head. "How are you? Did you get a date yet?"

Sighing, he shrugged. She could already guess. "Bad luck?" Amara elbowed him.

George nodded.

"I am sorry I could not go with you," Amara balancing her chin on her fist. She took in the enchanted ceiling. "I just wanted to mend things with James. It was for the best too. He has been very happy since I asked him."