"Yeah. Friends."

{Young- Vacations}

After having dinner at Tony's 'canteen', as he liked to call it, Steve decided he was going to go home. You were planning on also going but Bucky asked if you could hang out of with him a bit longer. And of course you said yes.

You were on his bed laying in a funny Star fish position, Bucky was on the couch next to you.
"Thanks for staying a bit longer." He said.
"No problem. I love hanging out with my favorite grandma." You smiled looking at him upside down. He chuckled "Why is it because I'm old?"
"And because of your sweaters." You laughed.
"They're really comfortable and warm. And also I can do this."
You turned around on your stomach facing him so you could see better.

He pulled his sleeves over his hands, so that his fingers weren't visible at all. You raised an eyebrow. "Thats,um, cute?" You didn't know what to say. He rolled his eyes "You can't see my metal arm. So if I ever go out I won't have to wear gloves." He said looking at his left hand proudly.
You grinned "You're such a dork." You flipped onto your back again.

"I was just saying," he shrugged, pulling the sleeves back up. "How is it living with Steve and Sam?"
Now this is a conversation you wanted to have with someone. "It's a sweet nightmare." You said.
"Okay?" He furrowed his eyebrows.
"It's like zero privacy, but like in a good way I guess. Well we always have something in our fridge because Sam is obsessed with cooking, and Steve always buys a ton of food. And in the mornings if I'm having breakfast with Steve he'll make me eat porridge or oatmeal. I hate oatmeal!"

"Sounds like you're never bored." Bucky said.
"Yeah. And whenever Sam cleans up the house, he's like a mom. Like I could be laying on the couch minding my business and he'll just throw a broom at me."
"Wilson?" Bucky laughed "No way he does the cleaning."
You flipped onto your stomach nodding "And when Steve cleans up he never vacuums the house. He just cleans all the mirrors and windows. It's so weird. Like both Sam and Steve are so different it's crazy, like complete polar opposites."

You face planted the bed letting out a sigh. You felt Bucky sit down next to you on the bed. You rolled over to him on your back. He gave you a smile from above. You flicked his hair. "Nice haircut."
"Nothing changed." He said. You were playing with his hair, like a cat, from below when suddenly you noticed something.

It was small, black and shiny. It was strapped onto the end of his hair. You sat up and turned Bucky's face towards you.
"What?" He asked confused. You moved his hair out of the way and revealed a small braid. Your mouth fell open, soon evolving into a massive grin. Bucky must've realized what it was because he was sitting there with an unamused look on his face.

"You have a small little braid," you cooed. "Oh it's so teeny tiny and adorable."
He went red.
"Oh that is the cutest thing ever. How long have you had that there?"
"Since you left." He replied.
"Left when? Yesterday?"
He shook his head "When you left with Sam to go see Stark two years ago. I had it there to remind me of you, when I lost my memory all I had was this basically. And I don't know why, but every day I redid it so it didn't fall apart."

You heart melted. No evaporated.
"That's so," you didn't know how to describe it "That's so sweet, and heartwarming and nice."
He smirked nodding.
"But," you added "As cool as the braid is I've got something much much cooler." You said.
He looked at you interested. "What is it?"
"You'll never guess what it is."
"Yeah, I probably won't."

You rolled your eyes. "Look." You brought your hand up to the collar to your shirt and pulled it down, revealing your tattooed collar bone.
"Oh my god," he whispered. "Is it real?"
His fingers instinctively traced the letters on your skin. You didn't mind, it just tickled.
"Does it stand for Bucky Barnes?"
"No Bucky, it stands for Bob Beetroot." You said sarcastically. "Yes."
"That's crazy. You're crazy. That's permanent!"
"No shit Bucky. It's a tattoo."

He stared at the tattoo in amazement. It wasn't big, but it was still shocking for him. He never thought someone would tattoo his initials on their body, for him. He put his hand away still in surprise. You let go of your shirt.
"A braid is nothing compared to that." He said.
"I know," you chuckled.
"Wow. I love y- I love, love that that's really cool, super cool, mhm," he stammered pointing to your shoulder then to himself then just did strange hand movements.
You chuckled.

"Yeah I'd say I'm pretty cool for doing that. And I need to go now, getting late and I'm driving." You looked at your phone. He nodded.
"Yeah, yeah of course. You want me to go with you downstairs?" He suggested.
"Stark let's you leave?" You said not expecting to hear what he just said.
"Well yeah, I'm not in prison. He says to just not attract too much attention and definitely have my arm either in a glove or in this case sleeve."

"Then why didn't we go to the park or something?"
"Because. You never suggested it? And I don't really like leaving my room, just in case someone does recognize me." Bucky says.
"Well you should definitely come see our house one day." You said getting up from his bed. He didn't reply to that just followed you to the door.
Before leaving you stood in front of each other awkwardly. You didn't know if you should hug him, or just say bye.
"See you whenever?" Bucky says. You nod.
"You have a phone?" You asked. He shook his head hesitantly.

"Oh, well then yeah. Maybe tomorrow, maybe not. But Steve will definitely be here tomorrow he always is, I'll send a message through him if anything happens." You say.
"Actually Steve isn't coming here tomorrow."
"Oh, day off?" You furrow your eyebrows in confusion.
"Uh no, all he said was that he was going to see an old friend and ask him for a favor."
That's odd. Steve didn't have much friends, actually none except the Avengers. Unless you were wrong.

"Alright then, wanna come over tomorrow? I'll pick you up. You can hang around with me and Sam for a bit. He'll be happy to have you over for some board games I'm sure." You suggested.
He looked a bit unsure "I don't want it to be awkward."
"Trust me it won't be awkward. Not for the two of you anyway."
"What do you mean?"
"Nothing." You shook your head. "I'm gonna go then. Bye." You waved. He waved back.

On your way out of the tower you bumped into Happy and Pepper.
"Oh my gosh, Y/N!" Pepper smiled.
"Pepper!" You exclaimed. She embraced you into a tight hug. "You've grown so much!"
You laughed. "Hey Happy," you said hugging him too.
"Hey kid. How's it going?" He grinned.
"Oh it's all great."
"What are you doing here so late?" Pepper asked.
"I was seeing um," you pointed behind you.
"Barnes?" Happy said.
"Y-yeah."

"Oh are you guys close friends?" Pepper asked, obviously completely clueless about the whole situation.
"Uh yeah." You said going a bit red, but only Happy seemed to have noticed.
"Yeah. Friends." He teased you.