Nine

Freya's POV:

He adjusts his posture and gestures to the empty chairs in between us. "Come, come. Do sit down. The tea is nicely steeped." He opens the top of the kettle, briefly checking the inside before looking back up at us. "It's perfect, in fact, if I say so myself. And Freya, I know you're not too much of a tea drinker, so I have a nice glass of lemonade for you." He says as he points to the tall glass in the middle of the plate, causing my hands to brighten in response.

"You can take the glass of lemonade and shove it up your—"

"We're not here for teatime, Shade." Pat quickly interrupts, sending a stern expression my way. "What are you doing in Blue Valley?"

"Pat Dugan." Shade sighed with a thoughtful expression. "It took me a moment to place the name in the diner."

"By the way, I knew that was a 1967 Jag, right?" Pat tried to explain, causing some of us to turn to him with our brows furrowed in confusion. "You know that?"

"Well, of course I do, Stripesy." He chuckled as he glanced between Pat and Courtney. "Oh, I see. Same sidekick, different Star-Spangled...Kid."

"Stargirl." Courtney corrected.

"Oh, absolutely. Now, please sit." Shade insisted, causing the Staff to warble in Courtney's hands. We could do it the other way, I suppose, all bother and perspiration, or we could try the more genteel approach."

"You murdered Dr. Mid-Nite. You don't deserve the genteel approach!" Beth raised her voice, trying to take a step towards him but Rick pulled her back.

"My dear young lady, and I mean this in the nicest possible way," Shade's smile suddenly drops to seriousness. "You don't know what you're talking about. Now, sit. I implore you."

"All right, kids, let's go ahead and have a seat." Pat spoke up, patting Yolanda and Rick's backs in assurance. 

"Wonderful." Shade hums, taking a sip of his tea as the rest of us cautiously walk to the chairs.

"Try anything, and I'll see how many teacups I can shove down your throat." Rick harshly remarked.

I begrudgingly sit down in the chair closest to The Shade but push away the glass of lemonade he placed in front of me. "Not thirsty."

Shade raises a brow curiously before looking back up to Pat who sat down at the other end of the table. "Don't you teach these children any manners, Stripesy?"

"So I'm just gonna ask you again, Shade," Pat ignored his question as he adjusted his posture. "why are you here?"

"Especially when I told you before to get lost." I grit through my teeth. "We won't let you take the town."

He tilts his head to the side. "And whyever would I do that?"

"Because you were a member of the Injustice Society." Yolanda answered as if it was obvious enough.

" Yolanda answered as if it was obvious enough