Twenty-Five

Freya's POV:

"You sure you guys are okay?" Courtney worriedly asks, leaning her staff against the wooden panels as Pat took a seat on the stool.

"I am, thanks to you." Pat gave a soft smile.

"What did you see?" I question as I sat down on the luggage.

"A lot..." He trailed off before looking down at his hands. "Bruce Gordon."

Courtney's eyes widen. "What? Why?" She worriedly asks. "What haven't you told us, Pat?"

He hesitantly looks up. "I've never told you how the JSA really stopped Eclipso."

FLASHBACK

Kent's POV:

I twist open the doorknob that led to the bedroom before I slowly push it open.

Kaitlyn doesn't bother to look away from the book in her hand but she adjusts the blankets over her legs. "Love, I left some leftovers from dinner in the refrigerator but--" I place the Helmet of Fate on the dresser with a grunt but I hear her gasp from behind. "Kent."

I lean against the dresser but she guides me to sit down on the chair before she cupped my face in her hands with concern. "I'm so sorry." I whisper before I shut my eyes, the guilt practically consuming my thoughts.

"Hey, hey, hey. It's alright, it's just dinner." She comforted, brushing her thumbs across my cheekbones. "Now tell me where the wound is so I can clean up the blood--"

"No, no. Leave them." I shake my head, running a hand through my hair in frustration. "I deserve it, especially after what I did."

"What are you talking about?" She worriedly asked. "What happened? Did Eclipso kill one of your--"

I quickly shake my head. "No, no." I clear my throat. "They're...alive."

"Then what's the problem? Did you stop him?" I slowly nod but her brows furrow in confusion. "So, I don't understand why you--"

"He's dead." I interrupt which causes her eyes to widen. "I thought I was doing the right thing to protect our family but...it doesn't feel like we did."

"Kent..." She whispers, wiping a tear away from my eyes.

"Pat was right. The JSA should never take a life...but it's too late." I mumble.

"Kent, listen to me." She whispers, tilting my chin up to lock eyes with her. "I don't know what's gonna happen with the JSA...but I do know that I don't want this to destroy our family. Everything is going to be alright."

END

Freya's POV:

My heart drops at the revelation.

This whole time...for so long I desperately wanted to follow under my fathers footsteps into having this clean record for protecting everyone, denying the accusations that I wasn't a murderer.

That I wasn't a killer I was raised to be by Sportsmaster and Tigress, to the Injustice Society.

But in reality...my real father did the same thing.

I am a murderer.

"There was no last meeting. There was no decision to break up." Pat continued to explain, pushing himself off of the stool before he closed one of the luggages nearby him. "Everyone just drifted away after that."