Twenty-Two

A/N: early update bc i appreciate you all :D
Freya's POV:

I groggily pat my face a few times as an attempt to wake myself up before adjusting the hood over my head and walk down the steps.

"Morning Freya." Barbara greeted with a small smile and gestured to the empty chair next to her with a plate of waffles and bacon. "I already served you."

"Thanks Mrs. Dugan." I whisper as I pull out the chair and took a seat, placing my bag near my feet.

"You doing okay?" Pat asked, his voice laced with concern. "You came back pretty late last night."

"I helped Maria clean up the diner." I answer as I cut the waffle into smaller pieces. "I might stop by again today since...Yolanda quit her job last night."

"That's nice of you." Barbara smiled, patting my arm a few times before she glanced behind me. "And where are you going?"

I look up from my plate and see Courtney barely step down from the last stair. "I wanna go talk to Yolanda." She answered, briefly meeting my eyes with a saddened look before approaching the empty chair next to Mike. "I couldn't sleep all night. She's my best friend, Mom, and I dragged her into this."

"She made it clear she wants nothing to do with us." I mutter as I poked the waffle piece with my fork. "Leave it alone, Court. She made her choice."

"But it was my idea to recruit her. I have to at least apologize for what's happened." She countered.

"You know, Court, it's not your fault." Pat spoke up.

"Yeah, honey. You and Freya only tried to help her." Barbara added with a small smile.

"We can't give up on her." Courtney said with a bit of frustration laced in her tone. "How can we help her now?"

"By giving her time." Pat tries to assure but Mike quickly shakes his head.

"What? No, no. That's--that's terrible advice." Mike scoffed before he turned to Courtney. "You help her by kicking Eclipso's ass. There's no way it wasn't him that did it. And who's to say what he's gonna do next?"

Suddenly, the front doorbell rings which causes everyones attention to snap towards the door.

"Eclipso wouldn't ring the doorbell, would he?"

Courtney cautiously walks to the front door before slowly pulling it open. Her posture relaxes before taking a step outside and crouches down to the ground.

I stand up from my chair as well and walk to the front door but to my surprise, see a familiar duffle bag in front of Courtney.

She unzips the bag and pulls out the Wildcat cowl from inside, causing my heart to ache at the sight.

"Hm." I huff under my breath, causing Courtney to jump at the sudden sound. "So that confirms what I said."

"Freya wait--"