Thirty

Freya's POV:

I blink a few times, seeing that I was inside a laboratory with Courtney not too far from where I stood as the Dragon King operated on an unconscious Cindy.

From a couple of feet away stood Cindy's mother with a little girl, watching the scene unfold in front of them.

"Where's your staff, Stargirl?" The Dragon King taunted, pulling out his sword from behind Cindy.

I protectively stood in front of Courtney with a glare. "She doesn't need one."

Before I could sprint towards him, I feel a hand placed on my shoulder which causes me to turn and see Doctor Mid-Nite shake his head. "He's not here." He firmly states. "Ignore him."

"But he--"

"Ignore him, and he has no power." He sternly interrupts Courtney.

She nods and steps around me to walk closer to Cindy. The Dragon King lifts his sword to swing across Courtney's side but before it could slice her, he disappears into a puff of smoke which causes my eyes to widen.

 The Dragon King lifts his sword to swing across Courtney's side but before it could slice her, he disappears into a puff of smoke which causes my eyes to widen

"As much as I admire your selflessness," Doctor Mid-Nite pats my arm with a small smile. "you need to remember where we are."

I nod. "Shadowlands."

"We need to go." Courtney urges as she quickly unclips the fastenings around Cindy's wrists.

"No, wait." Cindy looks off to the side, watching as the shadows encircled her mother and the little girl before it changed their positions.

The woman now laid in the puddle of her blood while the younger girl simply stared down at her.

"Mom." Cindy whispered as she quickly approached the two.

"I did it again." The little girl whimpers as she looked up to Cindy. "I made a mistake."

"I didn't mean to." Cindy and the little girl sadly spoke in unison, causing my heart to sink at the sight.

Cindy crouches down to the woman's level. "I'm so sorry. I... I'm so sorry, Mom." She rasped, her tears trickling to the floor. "I'm so sorry."

"I-I loved you." Her mother shakily breathed out. "I still do."

Courtney hesitantly approaches her from behind. "It's not real."

"Shut up, please." Cindy scolded in a whisper, not bothering to turn to us.

"Cindy, I found a way out of here." Courtney continues to say, causing Cindy to look up in shock.

"We have to go now, Burman." I state as I walk towards them and offer my hand. "Or else we'll be trapped here for good."

She slowly reaches us for my hand and I pull her to stand on her feet.

"All right, we must be going. Now." Doctor Mid-Nite urged as he walked closer to us and guided us to the exit. "Quickly, quickly."