Nineteen

JULY 3RD

Freya's POV:

The bell jingles as I push open the diner door, seeing that few waiters were already occupied with their customers.

I help myself by taking a seat near the window, watching as some of the townsfolk were decorating for Fourth of July.

Red, White, and Blue streamers were being wrapped around poles, banners pinned above several store signs, people blowing up balloons with grins on their faces. Oblivious to the darkness that five teenagers were trying to fight.

So carefree...why couldn't we be them?

"My favorite customer!" I jump at the voice and turn, seeing the shock on Maria's face. "Oh my, sorry dear. Didn't mean to frighten you."

I give a small smile. "All good, Maria. Just trying to catch my breath after my walk."

She raises a brow. "So you're treating yourself after working the calories out? Shouldn't it be the other way around?"

I shrug, adjusting the sling on my arm. "This entire week I've been waking up early to go on walks. Wouldn't you say I deserved to have a cheat day?" I ask which earns a chuckle from her. "I miss having a milkshake."

"Are you sure that's the only thing you missed?" She questions, causing my brows to furrow in confusion. "Coincidentally, the same amount of time you haven't stopped by is the same amount she's been down. Care to explain that and your arm?"

My eyes flicker over to Yolanda who solemnly stirred the spoon inside a coffee cup near the counter, keeping her stares at the coffee machine in front of her.

"Uh..." I trail off, remembering the last time we spoke wasn't exactly happy. "Accident at the gym so I've been making sure to stay focused with...summer school. I don't want to make any more slip-ups."

"Oh...well," She clears her throat. "while I agree that you should keep your focus on school, that shouldn't stop you from taking a break. You're still a teenager and I'm sure your parents would want the same for you."

My heart sinks. "Right..."

"Anyway, do you want the usual?" Maria questioned with a small smile. "Oreo milkshake? Maybe some fries?"

I shake my head. "As much as I would love to, can I just have a coffee? I'm not too hungry."

She nods. "I'll have Yolanda get right on that since I still need to serve grumpy Joe." She says, scribbling the order on her notepad before she looks up with a smile. "It's nice seeing you again, Freya."

"You too, Maria." I grin before she turns to walk to where Yolanda stood, handing her the written order before walking over to the same middle-aged man that gave Yolanda a hard time before.

Yolanda grabs the pitcher from the counter and turns to my table, her eyes slightly widening once they met mine.

She fixes her posture and walks over to my table with a small smile. "Hi." She quietly greets.

"Hey." I clear my throat, pushing the coffee cup closer to her and she pours it inside. "You doing okay?"

Her expression falters for a moment before she gives a small nod. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"Well one thing, your headaches?" I suggest and she looks down, pulling the pitcher away from my cup once it almost reached the rim. "And Maria may or may not have told me you've been upset."

Her eyes slightly widen. "She did?"

"She's worried and with..." I bring the cup closer to me but grab some of the small packets on the side. "Eclipso on the loose, I don't want him to take advantage with that. Not again." I pour some of the contents inside the coffee before stirring it with a spoon.