Thirty-Two

Freya's POV:

I attach the new set of ring daggers to the sleeves of my old ISA suit before I reach for the black hood that rested on the sink.

I slowly look at my reflection in the mirror with the mask in my hands. There were evident dark circles around my eyes but my eyes trail to the large purple-like bruise on my cheekbone from Eclipso's punch.

The mark alone was almost too similar from that day, sending the pit of my stomach to stir.

FLASHBACK TO TWO YEARS AGO

"I'll admit that I don't have the best parents but they'll see me for who I am once they see how I left you and the rest of your comrades." I shrug, twirling the knife in my hand. "Maybe I should try to convince them to let me live a life my sister Artemis has. Honestly, I'm glad I had this talk with you...despite your circumstance."

The man's eye twitches as he shook in his binds to the chair and tries to say something but the tape over his mouth muffles his voice.

I roll my eyes as I stand up from my chair and walk towards him, placing the knife on the table, ripping off the piece of the tape which causes him to groan. "Mind telling me that again?"

"I said why are you even telling me this? I-I'm not even a therapist! I was just an assistant to my boss over there!" He stammered, nodding his head behind me to the man who lay still near the door.

I sigh, placing the knife on the table. "There's just built-up anger I've been holding for a while and you seemed like someone I could talk to. I can't even talk to the rest of the ISA members if they don't take me seriously." I mutter, swiping his key card clipped to his shirt before I step over the other board member's bodies to walk behind the desk. "So I spared you."

"But the board--"

"Just following Jordan's orders." I simply interrupt, swiping the card which whirs the computer to life and I look through the dozens of files. "So I'm sorry for roping you into all of this. I'm just using your access key here to find the blueprints. Best way to do it is from within the system itself. No offense, but they should really work on fixing the security measures. Did you know that most of the tracking protocols focus on third-party movements?" I snort. "No one ever expects the call to come from inside the house, as it were. Your computer, your office."

"Aren't you still in elementary school?"

I raise a brow and look away from the computer, meeting his nervous expression. "Weren't you paying attention to my story? I'm thirteen." The computer pings as it pulls up the files which cause me to smile in satisfaction. "There we are." I quickly plug the USB into the computer and within seconds, the file imports into the drive.

"Okay, whatever. How did a middle schooler get mixed up with this?" He worriedly asks. "What are they offering you?"

The file chimes and I unplug the USB from the computer. "Sorry, but I'm afraid that's all the time we have for today." I sigh, stashing the drive into my pocket, and snatch the blade from the table. "As much as I loved our talk, we have to end our session here."

I tug the table close to the exit and expectedly, the door swings open.

"Freeze!" The security shouted, aiming his weapon to where the assistant sat. I quickly spin on my heel which causes him to trip forward and slam his head on the table, knocking him unconscious.

I casually shut the door before shaking my head with disappointment, meeting the assistant's frantic expression. "Did you honestly think I didn't know about the foot alarm beneath your boss's desk? I'm not an amateur."