Twenty

Freya's POV:

"Ugh—I'm sorry." Principal Sherman stammered as he flips through the pages of his notebook and textbook. "The lesson was right here, I thought. I haven't taught in so long. I'm still a bit rusty. Until Mr. Deisinger returns..." He winced as he trails off. "which might be longer than anticipated, I'm afraid, I'll do my best!"

I look over to Courtney and see her happily texting away with a giddy smile.

At least things are starting to work out for her and Cameron.

"Okay, um, have you guys talked about the Aztecs yet?" Mr. Sherman asked, earning several groans to escape from our classmates. "Okay, no Aztecs, huh?"

"You could talk about the Incas?" I suggest and Mr. Sherman's eyes lighten up.

"Oh, great, great, great, great. Let me see. The Incas." He quickly grabs the chalk from his desk and scribbles the words across the chalkboard. "The Incan empire was the largest in pre-Columbian America, with their political and military hubs centered in the city of Cusco..."

My eyes trail over to Yolanda, seeing that she fell asleep on her desk which causes me to smile in amusement.

I'd do the same but I didn't want Principal Sherman to catch me.

"And lasted until they were conquered by the Spanish in 1572. Now, from 1438 to 1533, the Incas comprised much of western South America, centered in the Andean Mountains..."

I lean my head against my hand with a quiet sigh, letting my thoughts cloud my attention from Principal Sherman's lecture.

There has to be a reason why Eclipso hasn't skipped town yet. Did he need more souls to have enough strength to leave? Was there something I missed in the tunnels? Another weapon?

Whatever his plan is, I have to stay focused. With Artemis's disappearance...I couldn't help but think that maybe it was a blessing in disguise. If she left Blue Valley, I prefer to leave her alone rather than having to worry about her being in contact with Eclipso if she was still here.

I mean, I already have to worry about my friends' safety. Her safety.

But then again, if I get distracted like before, Eclipso will always have the upper hand by using that against me.

Maybe the shattered pieces of the black diamond could send him back?

"No!" I flinch back at the sudden cry and I turn back, seeing as tears trickled down Yolanda's eyes that were still shut.

Courtney quickly stood up from her spot and place a hand on Yolanda's shoulder. "Yolanda." She shook her arm which causes Yolanda's eyes to shoot open.

"Yolanda, are you okay?" Principal Sherman worriedly asked as some of the students glanced behind with concern

Yolanda wipes her eyes with her sleeve before she stands up from her desk and quickly leaves the classroom without another word.