Chapter ten: Burned

Giovanni's POV:

The call reached me at ten pm. I was in the middle of a meeting with my father, he told me about the next ball that I have to attend with my wife.

It would be the first represent appearance to show others that we reformed as allies. Father told me, that it would give us more respect and other mafias would fear us more.

"Giovanni De' Bardi?". I answer bored. It's been several hours that I haven't heard about Caroline, but I know better than act like a puppy.

She's an assassin not for nothing.

"Mister De' Bardi, there is a problem that has reached us thirty minutes ago". I can't assign the voice.

"Who is this?". I ask.

"Tyler, Tyler Valentino".

"Listen, I have no time for your games, if you want to meet me, arrange it with my manager".

"Caroline". He only says and I sit up straight.

"What about her?". I'm alarmed. Is it that's why I haven't heard from her all day, but otherwise, she doesn't need me to know what she's doing all the time.

Either way, I'm concerned and adrenaline rushes up in my veins.

"Where are you?".

Mister Valentino gives me an overview on the situation as I drive like a maniac to the destination.

I burst out of my car, not even caring that my door wasn't shut properly. I run up to the crew, I assume it's Caroline's team and Tyler Valentino.

Out of breath, I reach them and look terrified for her.

"Where is she?". I almost scream at them.

"Calm down, she's in there, but we can't do anything right now".

"What do you mean. You can't halt a bomber threat to my wife?!". Those words don't taste good on my tongue, actually, it feels like a fuzzy rat.

I'm not used to call her that, a monster like she is, isn't worth for me to call her my wife. People would just assume that I love her unconditionally, which isn't true.

Tyler blinks at the mentioning and shakes his head.

"They told us, if we would stop them, they would drop the bomb".

"What???".

"How can something like this happen? It's her club house, all of her workers and security has to be with her. How did nobody notice the conversion around the house?".

"I can't answer that. Right now, we have to stay calm and observe. I'm sure they wouldn't try to kill her. Sal's people would just activate the anger of your family and of course us".

I understand. If they would really kill her, they would be dead as soon as they hit even ground.

It's her territory, which means they wouldn't earn a normal death. They would be brutally tortured.

Nervously, I tap my foot onto the ground.

"We have to do something". I say and can't stand the unknown.

"We can't risk anymore lives".

My eyes scan the area. Firstly, I couldn't see something odd about it, but with a second look, I suspect people in camouflage uniforms.

All of them holding machine guns and aim at the central point. Where she is.

"Where is the bomb man?". I say and grab the binoculars from the person next to me.

I don't even fit in with those men's. All dressed according to their mission, while I'm in fucking expensive clothes.

"It could be all of them".

"I see, they all wear something where the bomb could be transferred with". I clench my jaw and ball my hands to fists.

"If they touch her, I want them all tortured till they bleed out, understand?". I look at every single one of them.

The all avoid my eyes.

"What?!". I bark out. Tyler grins. "We don't take orders from you Mister De' Bardi, we all are under Caroline's spell.

My veins pop out and I'm ruthless.

"And do you see Caroline fucking De' Bardi here anywhere???".

"We still call her Matisse".

"I don't fucking care from who you want your orders from, but if Caroline is in there, a threat hovering over her head, I'm sure non of you want to end like the men of Vitale".

No one answers.

"She is a De' Bardi now, she will be under my protection till death brings us apart". I scoff.

"We have to get in there. NOW!!!". I get the guys moving and I follow them with two of them shielding me.

We near us the back door, luckily the club house is build perfectly to approach it, without anyone noticing.

Slowly, we make our way in the house and our steps hall.

At every corner the soldiers turn around and save the area.

"We need to go up there, but we can't".

"All of their men's are positioned at the door, sir". One of them says.

I huff and rub my face.

I hate the fear in me, why do I fear her death. She would be making me a favor.

Out of a sudden we hear the men above us screaming, the spot us.

"Shit". I curse.

"If all of you take one more step towards us, we will drop the bomb". Everyone is shouting, throwing commands and cursing underneath their breath.

No one saw it coming, but I did.

One of them held a black thing in their hand, a wire attached to his backpack. Everyone around him is yelling, saying 'don't do it', or the opposite.

He looks scared, almost frightened and drops his thumb- in slomotion, I throw me and the other soldiers in front of me, on the floor -and he activates the bomb.