Chapter fifty-seven: Heart On Heart

Giovanni's POV:

My heart was racing, I didn't know why I have done it and I surely won't tell Caroline any soon. That was a mistake, that I don't consider as on, it was an act out of need. I just knew that things wouldn't work out, if this problem was still in the way. I climb up the stairs and hear her door shut close. I inhale heavy and chose to leave it like that, if I bother her now, things would escalate ugly again.

When I slip into the room and click on the light above my bed, I see the diary laying on top of my sheets. I don't dare to move and try to figure it out. When she really opened this book again and really followed my suggestion, than she is still reaching out her hand. I rush myself to make me ready for the night before I get into bed and open the book.

I walk into the bathroom and wash my hands, toss my ripped clothes full of blood into the trash and step into the shower to wash off the last of the things I had done tonight.

***

My sticky note was removed and now I glance at a full written page with her beautiful handwriting on it. My eyes get used to the light and then I begin reading her words she never spoke out.

I feel wetness on my cheeks, with my hand I rub my cheeks dry and sniff quietly. I never cry, I rarely cry but to feel her hurt through pages and ink, does something to my heart, that makes me want to burn myself.

With the book in my shaking hands - that I try to hide - I knock on her wooden door.

"Caroline are you awake?". I mumble and lean my forehead against the wood. I hear someone ruffling through silky sheets and then her footsteps appear in front of me. "What do you want Giovanni?". She didn't open the door, instead I hear her voice loud enough through the cracks. She too, leaned her forehead against the door.

"I...I have read it". I mumble and look at the brown leather that was almost ripped off completely. She stays quiet. "And I...I understand what you are saying, I understand why you're hurting and I wanna curse myself to be the reason why you're upset". I hear her breathing. "Caroline". I let some seconds pass before I continue on.

"What?".

"Please let me in". Nothing happens, but I didn't want her to open the door, I've meant something different.

"Please let me in you're heart again". Her fingernails graze the door knob and she slowly opens up, not only that, but as soon as I look at her, I see that she also opened her heart for me again. My eyes fix on her beautiful brown iris and I smile weakly. She's still reaching out and I still want to try. Hope fills my body and a warm settling comfort wraps around my heart.

With a fast movement, I pull her against my chest. She snuggles her lips between the crook of my neck and her arms are entangled behind my head. I smell her flowery scent and feel her body against mine, skin on skin, heart on heart.

"I've missed you". I whisper in her hair and close my eyes.

"Giovanni?". She says.

"Yes mi amore". I keep her even closer to me, so vivid is the nightmare, that I could lose her again.

"I'm pregnant". I stiffen...