Chapter sixty: Plot Twist

The day started absolutely perfect, I woke up next to a smiling Giovanni, who had his hand on my stomach. Nothing showed off yet, but I wasn't surprised either. Actually I still feared that the doctor will tell me that I have a miscarriage. It's the nightmare of every young mother with her first child, and my risks are even higher.

Giovanni told me I cannot make any risks anymore, which means I am standing under a protective husband, who does everything and when I mean everything, I mean absolutely everything for me. I'm not allowed to train or visit the gym anymore, nor am I allowed to visit dangerous places, the kitchen counts too. With that, I get most of my food to my bed delivered or to the sofa, where I binge watch anything available on Netflix. 

As soon as Giovanni told me he had to leave, my mood went down. Apparently there is some unfinished business left to do. I watch him back out the driveway and close the curtain.

I search for my phone and when I finally found it, under a pile of dirty laundry, I sigh and call the only unfinished business of mine. "Hey". To hear her voice again, eases my nerves.

I don't know how my friend will react to the news I'm about to throw on her, so I decide to do it with a little present to it.

"What are you doing right now?". Briar closes the door on the other side, I can almost sense her surprised face.

"Nothing much, just brought Amira to my mother, I have a free day today".

"Good, What are your thoughts about a spar day with me?".

"A spar day? With champagne?". I laugh and nod, even though she can't see me. Briar obviously stopped drinking when she got pregnant with her daughter. Since then, she loves to drink champagne, I am always the friend to look after her, so she won't be coming home drunk to Amira. Champagne ia Briar's first love.

"Whatever you want babe".

"Well then, when are you picking me up?".

***

I drive towards her house and honk two times. Our secret sign for bitch I'm here, you better move your ass, cars are standing behind me.

Briars hair appears in the corner of my eye and she smiles at me, while climbing in. "How's my little princess doing?". "Ugh I am so happy that she is at her grandma's, her teeth are know completed and I have to deal with the aftermath.

I smile and the memory of Giovanni and my child to be turning that age too, givers my heart a little ache. I've always dreamed about this moment, to tell my friend I'm pregnant.

When we arrive at the best spar complex, with tons of different saunas and pools, I hurry us inside. We received our robes and towels, after we put all our stuff into the safe, we visited first the whirlpool.

I preordered some champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. Mine and Briar's favorite desert.

Briar's black bikini shows off her toned stomach, it is crazy that she had a child not long ago in that. I, on the other hand, went for the safest side a comfortable bathing suit. The hot water swallows us whole and the view outside captures my breath. I love it here.

"So tell me, why are we here. I know that you never put up such a show, just for us to relax". My eyes turn to Briar. "You make it sound like I'm not doing anything for you". We both snicker. Our friendship involves a lot of business, so we most likely mix it together.

"But seriously, what's the matter?". She looks at me with worried eyes. "It is nothing about Giovanni, is it?". I think back when he told me that he wanted to get divorced. A shiver runs down my spine, despite the hot water. I shake my head. "Technically yes".

"Oh no".

"No, its nothing bad, it's actually the opposite". Her eyebrows raise up. I nibble on my lip and gaze at her scared. "Briar, I am pregnant". Her yes go wide and her jaw drops down. "WHAT?". She reaches out for my arm and squeezes it in disbelief. "You're joking???". A proud grin explodes on my face and Briar's eyes glistening with happy tears.

I shake my head. "I'm not joking". She clutches her hand over her mouth and squeals. "Oh my God, Caroline!". With one movement her arms are wrapped tightly around my shoulders.

"Since when do you know it?".

"One whole day, the signs where there, but I thought it was all about the pressure and Giovanni's father, but no". I shrug and I feel Briars hand on my covered stomach.

"Wow". She whispers, feeling the tiny little bump, on my normally so flat stomach.

"You still look like a hot momma". I chuckle. "Well I am not that far, yet".

"How long are you then?".

"I'm not quite sure, it must be a month or little over that, I haven't visited the doctor. I wanted to tell Giovanni first and then you, before I make any other steps". Her tears flow now.

"But your father told you all your life, that you are-".

"Infertile, yes I know. Comes out that he's been nothing but a liar. He used that against me, to make me something more stern. I guess to band any caring mother feeling out of my nature".

"That bastard". I don't look at my friend. My father did nothing but cruel things to me, yet, I still believe in the good in him. It's so much to process right now.

"But there's more to it".

"You know the gender already". I shake my head and avoid her gaze. Giovanni talked todays morning about this, but he didn't care if it is a girl or a boy. Neither do I, I just hope it'll be healthy and will grow up in a safe environment. "What is it then?".

"I...I found it out". "What have you found out?". Her confused expression nags on my skin. What if she'll hate me for it? Maybe I shouldn't tell her?

"C'mon tell me, it can't be so bad".

It isn't bad at all, but it is a change and Briar hates changes.

"I found out who the father of Amira is".

Briar flinches back and I hate that.

"You have to believe me, I didn't search after him, it more fell into my hands instead. It was a a pure coincidence". I say calmly. She gulps hard and her face is paler than before. I'm scared that she might throw up. A girl comes up with our champagne and dessert. I thank her and Briar reaches to the bottle and drinks from it straight.

I press my lips together.

"Never in a million years did I thought I would get his name. I thought he will be a ghost to me, someone who doesn't even existed, it felt like that".

I rub her back, while she stares numbly into the bubbles.

"Who is it?". She whispers and I see her hands shake.

I inhale deeply, this moment, this information will changer her, and Amira's life, even his life.

"It is Alessandro". Her head swifts to me with a horror expression.

"Giovanni's little brother?". I just nod and support her.

"What?". Her voice crumbles fragil, nothing like Briar at all.