Chapter thirty-nine: Unconsciousness

We step into the large living room, greeted by Eden and my parents in law, as well es their son's.

I look between Mr. De'Bardi and his wife. Both watch me with ice cold facial expressions. I gulp down my fear and straighten my spine. No need to freak out Caroline.

Giovanni places his hand gently on my lower back and guides me to the only free seats. After we placed our butts onto the comforter, Mr. De'Bardi clears his throat and bends forward. "I have heard that you found the missing girl". I noticed that Giovanni's hand has wandered under the table on my thigh. He cups my knee and gently rubs his thumb over the soft skin that was only covered in some tight black jeans.

God knows why I suddenly turned to skinny jeans instead of my usual blazer look. "Yes, my people have found her". I say almost as cold as him. Alessandro smirks at me knowingly. He really seems to like pissing of his father. Not afraid to make some risks, might be coming back to this one. "Well that are some good news". I nod and I'm well aware that Giovannis fingers grazes proudly a bit further up my leg.

"Unfortunately I have some bad news". Mr. De'Bardi gestures towards Eden, who observes me intensely. I assume that Tyler must've done a bad job and thought it would be a great idea to out him with Giovannis father in one room, to declare further steps. What an asshole! Giovanni jerks his head to his father. "What is it?". I inhale and weapon myself.

"We received a message from Sal's location". Eden says. I down look at him though.

"Aren't they good news then". I ask, staring forward.

Mrs. De'Bardi joins the conversation. "He had sent a chopped off head from a little kid". I stop breathing and my fingers remain entangled. Giovanni bends down to my ear. "You okay?". I know that he has good intentions, but I can't afford it right now, especially when I'm sitting in the lions den. I scoff and shoot him a I-don't-fucking-care look, I care soooo much.

"What do you mean by location?". I ask, give Eden a side glance, there is no way that he hasn't known that before. "The kid was about eight years old and wasn't from here. He is...he was Japanese". Mrs. De'Bardi says.

"Sal is in Japan?". Mr. De'Bardi nods and comes straight to the point.

"Now that we are family, we have to decide together what's the best for the mafia. That's why we have decided to send Giovanni there with Tyler and some of our men's. Caroline will stay here and take care of the baby-".

"Baby???". Francesco says alarmed and also Alessandro eyes my stomach suspicious. Eden presses his lips into a thin line.

"Yeah father, what baby?". My husband ads. 

Mrs. De'Bardi has her eyebrows pinned together. "Wait, you tryna say that Giovanni will charge after Sal and I should stay here? And take care of a baby that isn't even existing?". I laugh and Mr. De'Bardi doesn't look amused.

"You aren't pregnant already?". Mrs. De'Bardi says and looks at me like I have just confessed my sins to her. Eden seems relieved.

"It's been almost six months Giovanni, I am expecting a heir as soon as possible". My father in law straightens his suit jacket and has his eyes narrowed together.

"With all my respect father, I won't force Caroline to bear me a child, it's up to her".

"It's not up to her, damn it!". He has thrown his fist onto the table, that the glasses vibrated.

"It's normal to bear a heir after the wedding, we have to have another blood line, a back up plan-".

"I'm sorry". I laugh sarcastically and take my hand out. "But even if I had a baby in my stomach, which I have clearly not, that child won't be referred as a back up plan. It's a human being and not a king forced on the thrown". Eden shoots me a weird look and bites the corner of his mouth, what the fuck is he doing here anyway?

"Oh and what would it be referred than Caroline?". Mr. De'Bardi leans back and folds his hands together.

I look at Giovanni and then at his father again. "It would be Giovannis child and mine and be sure of it, that I will protect that baby from this ruthless peace of shit, that I referred as my father in law!". I shout standing up and gripping onto the edges of the glass table.

Alessandro takes in a sharp breath and looks horrified at his father.

"Father I think you have heard what my wife said". Giovanni gets up and looks at his father with pure anger.

"Giovanni, it is the mafia we are talking about!". Mr. De'Bardi's face is red and his veins pop out aggressively.

"And its my unborn child we're talking about. Don't you dare to keep having a say in this, I will not let you go that far". He shouts and grips my arm to shove me out of the living room.

Mr. De'Bardi attempts to chase after his son. Giovanni pushes me behind him forcefully, but I try to stand next to him. Eden keeps himself out of the picture.

"I'm your father and the king of the Italian mafia, you will die if you try to underestimate me, son". Giovannis chest lifts up and down heavily and the tensions rises, almost tripping apart. Francesco has jumped up and tries to get between both of them. But Mr. De'Bardi has already thrown out his arm and his hand meets Giovannis cheek hard, his head jerks aside and Francesco pulls his father back.

"It's enough!". He screams and I have never seen him looking so heated.

Mrs. De'Bardi screams high and argues with him in Italian.

"You want to really fight with me father, you know that you will not win. I'm your son, made out of your flesh and blood, better than you will always be". Giovanni growls, going eye to eye with his father.

I stay silent, I don't even know why, I just feel so out of place.

Both of them reaching for their weapons until I get back into my mind and grip onto his hand. "Let's go home". I plead, scared that they will make each of their threats reality.

But my plead drowns into their hate. Giovanni reaches for his gun and so does his father. Both of them jerking against each other throwing bullets and fists. Mr. De'Bardi reaches for his ankle, when Giovanni throws him onto the ground, he didn't see the knife coming, but I did, it was too late though.

His father jerks the knife over his chest, the blade slices through Giovannis shirt and skin. Blood spills out of him, but he doesn't even notices it. He aims his gun at his father and fires a bullet into his shoulder. "Take that you son of a bitch!". He screams and then security storms in the living room. Ripping them apart and looking at Mr. De'Bardis injuries.

Alessandro walks up to as and hints at the back door. "Leave before father decides to kill you here right now". I nod and clutch my hand over Giovanni and pull him outside.

"Go to Japan and finish your mission". We hear Mr. De'Bardi scream.

The door falls shut and Giovanni turns around and slides down the wall, breathing uneven and holding against his injury. "Fuck". He whispers and looks at the blood that keeps spilling out without a break.

His hands are completely red and he meets my gaze. "Caroline- Caroline...". He mumbles and his eyes are rolling back slowly. "He...help- me". And with that he looses consciousness.