Chapter forty-five: Betrayal

Giovanni's POV:

I face that ruthless peace of shit, while he sips on his vodka.

"Where is your wife, Giovanni?".

"She's home". I say stern, not giving away any information. A raspy laughs escapes out of his throat and he smiles devilish. "You know I am hurt that you've let me wait so long and then to come up without Caroline here, I am sure she wants to rip you apart". I hate that he's right, Caroline would die now to give me one last fight.

I fold my hands on the table and dip forward.

"Why am I here, Sal?". I ask curious. "Easy because you want me dead". I snort and let my eyes drift over his features. He definitely has something familiar, his nose is small and straight, his mouth full, hovering over his cherry chin.

He's an ass for fuckssake.

"I could kill you in a heartbeat". I admit and it's true, I doubt anything what I am saying nowadays is a lie. I am a man of my word.

"But you're sitting here, full aimed and still don't lift a finger, tell me Giovanni, why is that so?". His voice dropped into a whisper and the table between us, is a barrier that I want to push away. "Ah, I know why". He takes another sip and places the glass back where it was.

"Because you know something what she doesn't". My heart ripples in my chest and I find it hard to breath, how the fuck does he know that I know.

"Let me guess, you found out shortly after I almost killed your wife?". Another truth. Shouldn't the evil one constantly lie?

"Who told you this?". He leans back, snickering.

"I have my ears everywhere". It dawns and I snip the fork in half. "Oh no, why so aggressive out of a sudden? I just want to have a good dinner with you, nothing more". How I hate him, his blond hair is cut short and his skin is covered in black ink.

"Who told you this?". I ask again. He sighs frustrated, but I don't let myself get distracted. "Eden". One word and one more body on my death list. "That motherf-".

"Ah". He holds up his finger, cutting me off. "You don't even know the whole story yet, lean back and relax De'Bardi". Hardly I obey but I still listen when he starts to explain.

"Beforehand you have to know, that Eden is a fellow after mine, since I can remember. He is, well was very loyal". I observe him.

"Oh come on, did you really think that someone like me wouldn't get behind that pathetic game he's playing? No, I have come around it a long time before. But that was my plan, to set him up right there where he wanted to be, next to your wife".

The thought of here being in my house, where this peace of shit is stalking her twenty for seven, eats my nerves.

"Well I did what I had planned. Brought him as a mole into her company, whatever happened after that will be the story for another time. It was easy for me to play the card right, easy for me to manage that she will almost die in that fire I have set up. Of course I've got rescued out of there, I made sure she will not die. I wanted to play a game, play a game with her alone. Eden is nuts if he thinks I don't know of his betrayal, he drives himself down the road. As we both know". He winks at me and we both know what he's talking about.

"Then I did what I alway did. I waited, little Camilla was just a girl for interest". He suddenly laughs. "I don't own a bordell, nor do I kidnapp innocent girls, that was all made up from Eden and he made it his mission to share this information all around, so Caroline would be still up and down for the missions he set herself up with.

"All a matter of time, actually my plan didn't resolve right because now you are here and she is not. But what a man would I be to not have a backup plan right Giovanni?".

I stopped breathing. He didn't own a bordell? Didn't kidnapp anyone, everything a whole lie, just to keep her interested? My blood boils and I want to fly back and get her right now!

"What do you mean by that?". I ask breathlessly

"What I mean is simple, so simple that mafia heirs like you oversee a little important detail". His index finger circles the glass and this patience he has, brings my world apart. If he will not say it now, I have to kill him on the spot.

"What is it?". I grit out, hands folding to fists around two blades, that I have pulled under my shirt.

He grins and eyes me.

"Francesco". He says and I widen my eyes.

Francesco had the task to watch over her. My brother that I could trust with everything...betrayed me!