Chapter fifty-three: Misery

Giovanni's POV:

As we both went back to the crowd, I switch an intense gaze with Theresia and she throws one back. I can see her nervousness and like her younger sister, she nibbles on her lower lip. With one hand I grab Caroline and mover her near to the exit. "What? What are you doing Giovanni?". She protests and I held on the static expression. When we are far away from all the open ears, I bend down to her level and she watches me with her big brown eyes.

"You need to go home now!". I say demanding and put pressure on her arm, because she suddenly wants to break free from my grip. "Why?". Her tone is pissed and anxious at the same time. "It's better that way, you'll get escort home and then we will talk".

"Talk about what? Why do I have to leave out of a sudden?". I grit my teeth together and stare her unmerciful down. "Did I stutter?". Anger flames in her eyes and she lets her fingers drop to the blade on her thigh. "Mhmm I wouldn't do that, unless you liked to get punished here and now in front of all the guests". I whisper and watch her freeze. Cockily she tills her head at me and playfully steps further. "You know I am always up for a challenge Giovanni". Seductively she traces with her finger along my belt and I catch her wrist before she wanders lower.

"Caroline! Don't make me fuck your slutty mouth". I growl underneath my breath. Before she can misunderstand this serious situation any more, I step back and wave a man in a black suit to us. "Yes sir?". "Please make sure my wife get's escort safely back home and make sure she really enters the house". He nods and waits on Caroline, her eyes are still fixed on me. But instead of lust, I can see hate crawling up behind her mind. I sigh frustrated as she turns around and coldly follows the man out of the halls. If she would've only known why I make her leave all this time.

***

I am back at the table, its about four hours later and most of the guests have already left. After my father announced me as the new mafia head of the Italian mafia and the tradition got fulfilled, where they took from each of us a drop of blood and placed it in a pencil with what we've signed the contract, the chatter died and some employees covered the tables.

Now it's only us and family Matisse, sitting together. My brothers though were excluded from this conversation.

I swirl the scotch in the glass back and forth and try my best not to show any emotions. It got a lot harder since I've met Caroline, she's like an unknown storm that will appear out of nowhere and destroy all the houses, all of what you achieved and accomplished in your life before. My father trained me to be this kind of emotionless men, but since she stepped in my life, I find myself losing my shit in the worst situation possible.

"We needed to talk?". Mr. Matisse says and watches my father. He leans back and breathes deep in. My mother worried face appears in my vision and I already know that she's overthinking every little detail in her head, probably trying to see the good in my father and why she loves him so desperately. I mean she dared to stick around that long, on the other hand, as soon as a married mafia wife runs away from her husband she can get killed, tortured, raped and assorted by all men unless they're Italian. A fucked up rule and the firmament why all women turned into quiet toys for the show. Not all, some are just like Caroline, but that will change, after this, she will be a broken misery.

Theresia pulls closer with her chair and takes her champagne glass off of the table. I watch her gulping down the rest of it and hold my breath. My father already informed me about this meeting. He wants everything to be cleared up. "Where is Caroline?". Her mother asks.

"She went home, some headache". I lie and Theresia already looked through my lie. "Sad, because this meeting eventually will be going about her and her sister". Father statements and Theresia jerks her head to him.

"What do I have to do with this, I am not a part of the mafia anymore". She protests.

"We know that but unfortunately you are our only hope, well Giovanni's hope in this case". She frowns and I already hate where this is going. I scoff in my head, I don't want to do this, actually, I hate this fucked up story that my father wants to turn into reality. He signed the contract today, so technically I can say no, but because he has a proven point and this point is under the contract from the marriage, I cannot decline.

"Talk". My father grins and starts explaining what a good plan he has in mind for the oldest Matisse daughter.

***

I open my car and get in, I grip the steering wheel tight and slump into the seat. I am still dressed in this fucking suit and as much as I want to get home and change, I just can't. I don't want to face her already, because that means I have to fill her in, it's the last thing I want to do right now, or ever. Family Matisse steps out and walks up to their transport vehicle. Theresia sees me and stays still for a second. She wears a pity look on her face and the breeze brushes her black hair aside.

She presses her lips together and waves. I gaze at her and nod. She turns around and gets into the limousine. With that I start the engine and race down the hill. The whole drive back home, I searched for the best words. Words I can make her understand why we have to do this.

The night is cold and quiet as I reach the driveway. The house sits still and some lights are on. The study and her room. I can see her figure at the second floor, walking up to the window and looking outside, probably guessing that I've arrived.

It's after midnight and we stare at each other, me not moving, her not knowing what will happen to her soon. She disappears and the curtain floats after her. I close my eyes and kill the engine to step out.