Chapter twelve: Distraction

I watch him intensively, until he decides to make a move.

He presses his lips onto my forehead and I close my eyes. Why do I feel so weak in his presence?

I don't want to do anything right now, I don't even want to walk.

"I want to be alone". I murmur and he lets go of me, as he backs off, I see his face turn cold again, like nothing just had happened between us.

"Here". He hands me an ointment.

"That's for the pain, it cools your skin down perhaps you can't stand it anymore".

"I probably won't need it, I have a high pain tolerance".

"I'm sure you do. I will go off and work, you can call your sister if you need something, I won't be here all day".

Something inside me cracks. I don't know why I wished he would be staying with me until I'm healthy again.

I curse myself for this stupidity.

"Fine".

He walks out and shortly after, I hear the engine roaring on.

With a sigh, I lean onto the wall and don't risk a second look on my messed up skin.

***

I'm in the living room and try to sit as comfortable as possible on the couch. I launch for my phone and type in the number of my phones sister.

"Hey?".

"Hi". I say almost inaudible. I lean my head onto the headboard and close my eyes.

"I assume you want to know what happened?".

I agree and she starts to explain.

"There must be an informant person among us, he contacted the people from Sal and they managed it to storm the club house".

"Shut up". I mumble underneath my breath.

"I know you don't want to hear this, but you could've died in there. We need to set new rules and go through every person in the company to find the one who betrayed us".

"I just don't get it how no one saw it coming and saved the club house".

"I know". I lean on my forearms and start the TV.

"Are you still in the company?". I ask. "Yes I am. Did Giovanni already told you about the ball?".

"What ball?".

"He had a meeting with his father about it, it's gonna be a big thing and you two will show off the allies".

"You mean the first official attend as a married couple?".

"If you want so". I shake my head and my heart turns numb.

"Theresia?". I whisper into the phone.

"Caroline". I bite my lips, I don't want to come off as weak, but then, she's my sister, the one I trust the most.

"Can you...uhm- search me a dress that shows off no skin?". I hear her pause and think.

"Ok". She says and I can hear the sadness in her voice.

I bow my head, as I decline the call rapidly. I need distraction.