40:New people.

Chapter forty:New people.

               (Hua Mian in the pic)

The carriage drove slowly through the town, the weird behavior exhibited by the residents didn't went unnoticed by Yu An's keen eyes.

❝There is something going on. ❞Xiao said also noticing the fearful expressions that the town people showed on their faces.

Yu An opened the window next to her and asked.

❝What's the matter? ❞

A man stopped to look at her.

❝Bandits... we're ruined. ❞

❝What bandits? ❞Yu An asked again.

❝Our king was killed and after his death, a group of of bandits took over demanding protection taxes from everyone. Whoever rebelled were killed on the spot. ❞he further explained, whispering, afraid that he may be heard and deemed traitor.

❝A group of bandits that bully the towns folk? ❞Yu An asked softly.

❝Can we help them? ❞Xiao asked pulling at her sleeve.

❝Of course. It shouldn't be too hard. ❞Yu An said smiling.  ❝Let's walk on foot for now. ❞ she added opening the carriage's door and jumping down.

Some people were looking at her wondering who's wealthy daughter she must be.

Yu An looked at their troubled faces, some were skinny due to malnutrition, some were wearing worn out clothes and looked cautious in all directions, afraid that someone may be out to get them.

❝Those bandits... I want to kill them. ❞Yu An said feeling the demonic energy inside her growing impatient.

❝Me too. These people look... different. ❞Xiao said, clenching his fists in anger that the people from his house town were treated like this.

❝You haven't payed the tax yet! We'll take everything you own! ❞a buff man shouted kicking a man to the ground, putting his foot on this chest.

Yu An grinned and walked to the man while humming.

❝What's the problem? ❞Yu An asked.

The buff man raised his head to look at Yu An and frowned confused.

❝Who are you? This ain't your bussines, girl, scram. ❞the man said gesturing with his hand trying to shoo Yu An away.

Yu An laughed and with a quick move, cut the man's arm. The man shouted and grabbed his bleeding wound.

People were looking stunned at Yu An, how come such a frail girl cut his hand? And she was so fast they could barely see her moving.

Yu An kept a bright smile as she looked at the bleeding buff man who shouted for help.