28| School

Monday

My alarm rings and I just stare at the ceiling for minutes on end. When I finally snap put of it, I was half hour behind schedule.

I quickly drag myself out of bed and into a quick shower.

I put on some black jeans and one of Josh's hoodies. I do light makeup and sort my hair out before rushing downstairs.

I have a sip of my coffee and bolt to the door when the phone rings. You're joking.

"Josh, I'm going to school. I'm already late, catch up later?" I sigh. "Okay, be careful." He says and I end the call.

I rush into the rain and then into my Jeep.

When I get to school, I just stare at the building. Maybe I should just go home. I haven't spoke to my friends in ages and being here on my own, doesn't appeal to me.

But I promised Hunter.

Suck it up India, it's just school and if it's so bad you can go home later. This can be like a taster.

I grab my bag and slide out of the Jeep and head inside.

I keep my head down and head straight for my locker.

I open my locker and take out my stuff for first period.

I head into first period when the bell rings at Alex was already sat in his seat and I take a breath of relief. He meets my eyes and pulls out my chair.

"You don't have to be here." Alex reminds me as I sit down. "Your here." I say and he raises an eyebrow. "For you." He says and I smile. "Thank you." I say and he nods.

****
Once English ends, Kyle heads over to my desk and glances from Alex to me.

"Hey, where have you been?" He asks and Alex puts his hand on my lower back. "Just ignore him." He whispers. "But he's my friend." I say and Alex raises an eyebrow.

"I'll tell you later, I've got Spanish." I say and Kyle focuses in on Alex. "Where you with him?" He asks, his tone laced with anger. "No..." I say confused and Alex rolls his eyes and leads me out of the class.

We get to my locker and I take out my spanish stuff.

Alex then walks me to Spanish.

I get to Spanish and he nods towards the door. "Thank you." I say and he nods. "I'll see you later." He says and watches me head into my class.

I slide into my seat beside Lily who lets out an annoyed scoff.

"Where the hell have you been?" She asks annoyed. "I've been worried sick. No texts, no calls. I stopped by your house multiple times and no one was there. I've been talking to Hunter about you who also had no clue where you were." She rambles and I nod.

"I know, I'm sorry. I lost my phone and I've been in LA." I say and she raises an eyebrow. "Where's your tan? If anything you look more pale then when you left." She says.

"How's your grandma?" Hunter asks sliding into his seat beside us. My grandma? She's dear. "I'm still so sorry about what happened to her." He says and I nod slowly.

"What happened?" Lily asks. "Heart attack. She's stuck in hospital, on her death bed." Hunter says and I gasp. "Shit, that was insensitive, I'm sorry." Hunter adds and rubs my back.

"Oh, I'm sorry Ind's." She says and I nod. "Thank you." I mutter.

"Why didn't you call back?" Lily asks. "I uh lost my phone." I say, atleast that part isn't a lie.

I'm feeling so guilty. But lying is better than is better than the truth.

****
At lunch, me and Lily meet everyone at the table. Thankfully no one brings up where I've been, because Lily already told them.

Kyle and Ethan were whispering between each other when Lily and I got back from buying food.

I bite into my sandwhich when someone slides beside me. I look up to see Alex and Hunter sits down infront of me.

"Um... hi." I say and Alex takes a bite of my sandwich. "Let me have some." Hunter says snd takes the sandwich from Alex.

"Are you having a three way?" Lily asks and I gasp. "What? No!" I say and she laughs. "There's nothing wrong with it if you are, I don't blame you. Their both hot." She says and Ethan clears her throat. "Thanks hun." Hunter winks at her. "You're most welcome." She says and Ethan raises an eyebrow at her.

Ethan and Lily stand up at the same time before leaving.

"What are you guys doing here?" Kyle asks them. "Looking out for our friend." Hunter says and Kyle raises an eyebrow at me as I take my sandwich off of Hunter.

Alex types on his phone and then glances over at Kyle.

"What?" Alex asks and Kyle turns to look at me. "What's going on India?" He asks and I raise an eyebrow.

"Have you been hiding with these boys the whole time. We were worried about you." He says and I drop my sandwich down.

"You know where she was, Lily said not to bring it up." Ryder whispers to him. "But I don't believe Lily. She left school, and now she's sharing sandwiches and letting them sit with us." Kyle argues. "It's not 2010, they can sit where they please." Ryder counters.

"Tell me the truth India." Kyle says and Alex stands up abruptly. He yanks me up beside him and Hunter follows suit.

"She doesn't have to tell you anything. If you don't want to believe her, fine but she's obviously distracted so don't be a dick." Alex bursts before leading me out of the cafeteria.

"I've got to say." Hunter says once we get out of there. "Im loving this new found heroism." Hunter adds and I laugh.

"Team Inlex." Hunter cheers and I raise an eyebrow. "Inlex, you're ship name. Wait does Andia sound better? Inlex. Andia. Inlex. Andia-"

"Alright, we get it." Alex sighs as we get to my locker.

"I think im gonna head home." I say opening my locker and taking my stuff out. "Are you sure?" Alex asks and Hunter holds my hand. "Yeah." I smile softly.

They walk me to the front entrance of the school and we look out at the poring rain. "You don't have to go any further. I'll be fine." I whimper and hold my umbrella firmly.

"I thought we were all ditching." Hunter says and I roll my eyes. "Go to class." I scold and rush out into the rain and to my car.

Maybe rushing was a bad idea.

I agree that it's a bad idea when I slip and fall.

I groan as my body collides with the floor and just look up at the sky, this is therapeutic. But then I remember where I am and sit up.

I was suddenly blocked from the rain and I look up at Alex. "You're such a fucking idiot." He says helping me up. "Thanks." I groan and he hands me my umbrella.

He puts his hand on my lower back and  leads me to my car. "You seriously need to be careful. What did you even slip on?" He asks and I groan again. "No clue." I sigh.

"I'll see you later. Just be careful." He sighs and leaves me at my Jeep.