Chapter 8: The Movie

After another long, highly "educational" day at school, the day ended and it was time for the movie. I decided to wear a nice, plaid button-up with jeans. Kinda formal, right?
   After saying goodbye to my mom and brother, I head out the door and start walking toward the movie theater. I'm so excited. My heart is pounding. I'm watching a movie with somebody I think I like.
   Wait, what of he only wants to be friends? Maybe I'm not athletic or strong enough. He might think I'm not good enough or too boring or just...
   I notice the theater. I see John, but Daniel is nowhere to be seen. I try to just breath. He's a nice guy, I've got nothing to worry about.
   "Kane, I'm glad you could make it!" he says smiling, as usual. "Daniel is running late, but we can go play in the arcade if you're fine with that."
   I could go for the arcade. "Yeah, you any good at air hockey?" I ask, hoping for a challenge. He accepts my challenge and we play. After a long, difficult match, I managed to win by one point.
   "Good game." Daniel says walking into the arcade.
   "Thanks!" I say, having the time of my life. "What movie are we gonna watch?" I ask curiously.
   "We have a few options." John tells us as we walk toward the ticket machine. "There is a scary movie we could watch, or we can see a war movie. I think the rest are romances and bland comedies." He says, looking at the movie options.
   "I'm up for a scary movie." Daniel says. "I hear this one is scary enough to make you coke on your popcorn!"
   "Well ok then, scary movie it is!" John says with enthusiasm.
   I, on the other hand, am not so enthused. I can't do scary movies. But if I get scared, would John let me cuddle with him? I drop the thought and we get our popcorn and drinks before walking into the movie.
   We sit in the middle of the theater. We seem to be the only ones. I'm starting to wish I wore a hoodie, it's freezing in here. As the movie starts, we've already eaten most of our popcorn. As I reach for another handful, I feel another hand.
   It's John's hand. Our hands are on top of each others. I don't move my hand and he doesn't move his. I stare into his eyes and I'm mesmerized. His eyes in the dark theater seemed to glow, like shining emeralds.
   A loud sound from the movie send us both being startled and yanking our hands back away from each other. We eventually finish the movie without another incident. I say bye to John and Daniel and start to walk home.
   I felt like I was on top of the world. All bad things in life seemed to disappear. All I could think about was John.