Chapter 19: Awake

I wake up seeing Eric. He's looking at me, smiling.
   "Kane." He says. "Wake up, I want to talk."
   I try to sit up, but a sharp pain in my side keeps me from doing so. I stretch my arm near the side of the bed and adjust the seat, making me sit up. "Hey little brother, how ya doing?" I ask, happy to be able to talk to him.
   "What happened? Who broke you? Why didn't you beat them up?" Eric asks, spitting out questions as fast as he can.
   "Woah, slow down there buddy. How'd you know I was in here?" I ask him.
   "Ugh, John's mom told me. Now answer my questions." He urged.
   "Someone from school did this to me. And there were a few of them. I couldn't do anything." I say, finally answering his questions.
   The door swings open. It's John. Where has he been?
   "Well hey there handsome, where were you?" I ask.
   "Taking care of business. I'm glad you're awake now." he says, sitting down in a chair in the room.
   We talk for a while. We talked about the fight, how John got revenge, how Mom didn't know Eric was here.
   "Wait wait wait, Mom doesn't know you're here with me?" I ask, shocked.
   "I'm not here, I'm at a friend's house. And that reminds me, I should be heading back now. Anyway, I'll see you later. Want me to bring Mom tomorrow?" he asks.
   "If she wants. Doesn't matter to me."
   And he was gone. Just me and John again. "Heh, the tables have turned now. Now I'm in a hospital bed." I say, laughing.
   John stands up and walks to my bed. He leans down and kisses me. When we stop, I see tears in his eyes. "You really scared me when I found you. I thought you were dying." he says, tears streaming down his face.
   I'm speechless. I lean forward and hug him. I don't let go until the pain in my ribs becomes unbearable.
   John looks me in the eyes. "Why don't you rest. I'll be back tomorrow." he says. He gives me a quick kiss and heads for the door. "I'll miss you cutie." he tells me as he slips out the door.
   I'll miss him too.