Chapter 12: Officially a Couple

We walk to school together. Laughing, talking, smiling. I get more and more anxious as we get closer and closer to school.
   John nudges me. "Hey, it'll be ok. I promised." He says as he grabs my hand.
   I hold it. I hold it the rest of the way to school. We walk onto the gym holding hands. John still had that smile on his face, walking confidently. I join him.
   We walk up to his group of friends. At first, they don't talk. They only stare at our hands, still locked together.
   "Well," a girl starts to say. "I think you two make a cute couple."
   I'm filled with relief. "Thanks." I tell her, laying my head on John's shoulder. One of the guys in the group walks away. Guess he didn't think we were so cute.
   The bell rings and we head or separate ways. Daniel is in his usual spot in first period. I rush over to him to tell him about John when Meghan steps in front of me.
   "I KNEW IT!" she says, angrily. "YOU ARE GAY! YOU AND THAT HOMO JOHN!"
   She's making a scene. I'm paralysed. Everybody is looking at me and her. I've got to do something.
   Daniel gets up and and steps between us. "So what!?" he yells, frustrated. "It's no big deal. Stop messing with him because you have nothing else to do. Go make out with one of your boyfriends or something."
   Oh. Crap.
   She's fuming. She rears back, ready to slap him when she suddenly stops. Her eyes are on me, filled with rage. She pushes him aside, walking straight toward me. I tense up, expecting a slap. It doesn't come. She instead, shoved me to the side. She stomps right out the door, leaving the class. Everything is silent.
   So much for people not treating us differently.