Chapter 9: The Game

The weekend comes around and I plan on going to Daniel and John's football game. I eat a boring breakfast of cereal and an orange slice.
   As I'm eating, Eric stumbles into the kitchen. His fur isn't even brushed yet and he is still wearing his pajamas. Still rubbing his eyes, he looks at me and manages to mumble a "Good morning." before he grabs a pop tart and walks back into his room.
   The game isn't until the evening, so I'm gonna try and do something productive until then. I sit down and do homework. The teachers show no mercy on homework wether it's the weekend or not.
   I sit down and get to work.
...
   My brain is fried. I finally finish after what seems like forever. I put my books in my bag and look at the time. The game is in three hours. Better get dressed, I think.
   I look into the mirror, inspecting myself. Just an average, brown wolf. Brown eyes, straight teeth. If only I was as straight as my teeth. I laugh at the thought and get to prepping.
   Gussied up enough I think. Fur seems straight, teeth are clean. I think I look great! Hopefully John thinks the same thing.
   I head out the door and start walking to the field.
...
   I'm an hour early. The other team hasn't shown up yet. Even the parents aren't here to cheer on their kids yet. The football players and their coach are here however, getting warmed up.
   I find a seat on the bleachers and watch. I see Daniel, catching passes thrown to him by Jordon, the quarterback. I look for John, trying to see where he'll be playing tonight.
   He's running the ball. For some reason that makes me nervous. He's seems small for running the ball. Hopefully he doesn't get hurt.
   He sees me in the bleachers and waves, that friendly smile on his face. I smile and wave back. He'll be ok, I just know it. I sit waiting until more people start to show up.
   The game eventually starts. We score right off the bat, making the score six to nothing. John makes a two-point conversion.
   In the third quarter, the game is tied fourteen to fourteen. The give John the ball, hoping to gain yards when a bull at least twice John's size plows him over. I stand up shocked. John doesn't move. He lies on the ground, not moving. Is he even breathing?
   I run to the field to see if he's ok, but the medical staff won't let me come closer than ten feet. The put him on a stretcher and put him in an ambulance. I ask what happened frantically, over and over until somebody finally answers.
   "He has a concussion." the coach tells me. "He's at the hospital if you want to see him."
   Yes. Yes I do.