Chapter 16: Sleep

John sits in a chair, looking at Kane. The pain killers the doctors had given Kane put him straight to sleep. Man, John thinks. A broken rib. Who would do this?
   He gets up and puts his hand in Kane's. "I wonder if you can hear me." John says, looking at Kane's still, breathing body. "I'm gonna find out who did this."
   John leans in and kisses Kane before he let's go of his hand, and starts to walk out the door. Before he closes the door behind him, he turn around and looks at Kane. "I'm coming back. I promise." He says before closing the door behind him.
...
   Eric misses Kane.
   Sure, they were always playing pranks on each other, but Kane was family, and family was important. His mom wouldn't go see big brother, but he didn't care. He would have to sneak out to go see him.
   I know, Eric thinks. I'll just say I'm going to a friend's house. I'll head to John's house and see where Kane is. He gets up and walks downstairs, only to find his mom sitting on the couch, sobbing.
   "Um, hey mom?" Eric asks, nervously. "My friend invited me over to help him study. Can I go?"
   His mom looks up at him. Hey eyes are red and puffy. "Yeah." she says, putting her face in her hands again.
   Ok, that's good. Eric slips out the door, and takes the long trek to John's house.
...
   John arrives at the house he's looking for. Fancy, he thinks. The house is two stories tall, with plenty of flowers in the yard. This must be the place.
   Meghan knew everything at the school. If anybody knew who attacked Kane, it'd be her. He knocks on the door, thinking about what he's going to ask.
   Somebody answers within seconds. A beaver in an apron stands at the door. "Yes?" she asks.
   "Um, is Meghan here? I'm a friend from school." John lies. "I need to talk to her."
   "Yeah, upstairs. Second door on the left." the beaver says, letting John in.
   Welp, John thinks. Let's get this over with.