Chapter 13: Kicked Out

How will I tell my family? Yeah, I know, I should've told them I was gay, but I was always afraid of what they would think.
   "John," I say while we're eating lunch. "I need your help."
   "Yeah? What's up?" he says, looking up from his food.
   "Could you walk home with me? Help me... Come out to my family?" I ask, somewhat embarrassed.
   He smiles. "Yeah. I'll let them know that you're mine." He says with a wink.
   Great. I couldn't do this without him.
...
   We walk up to my front door, holding hands. I hope he doesn't notice my hand sweating.
   "Hey, don't be so nervous." he says laughing. I guess he did notice.
   We walk in together, hand still clamped together. My mom is in the kitchen, cleaning dishes.
   "Hey Kane," she says, not looking up from the dirty dishes. "I'll be out tonight at Eric's parent teacher meeting. I have supper in the fridge and-"
   "Mom," I say, interrupting her in what I hope was the most polite way possible. "You remember John right?"
   "The fox?" she says, finally looking up from the dishes. The first thing she notices is our hands.
   She looks shocked.
   "Um, Kane? Can I see you on the other room please?" she asks in an upset voice.
   I nod, letting go of John's hand. I follow her into the next room. I shut the door behind me. Let's get this over with.
   "Why?" she asks, beginning to raise her voice. "I took you to church, I was always there for you!" she screams, tears rolling down her cheeks. "So tell me, why are you GAY!?"
   I'm speechless. I felt like my caring, loving mother hated me and John.
   "Would your father want this?" she cried.
   No. She was not bringing him into this. I turn around, ready to walk out. "I'm. LEAVING." I say, opening the door. I grab the handle and turn to her one more time. "Dad would've been just fine with this. I was born this way." I open the door and walk out, leaving my mom in the room alone.
   John still stands in the kitchen, obviously hearing our entire conversation. For the first time, I see sadness in his eyes. I couldn't take much more of this.
   "Let's go." I say, grabbing his hand. He nods and we walk together out the door. We're almost out the front yard when my mom opens the door.
   "Until you stop loving him, you're not living under my roof!" she yells before slamming the door.