Chapter 25: Dread

Someone calls me early during the weekend. I roll over and check the clock. 7:00. Yeah, I know I should've been up already, but I sleep late on the weekends.
   I look at the caller I.D. It's John.
   I grab my phone and hit answer. "Hello?" I say groggily, trying to wake up.
   "Kane, do you think you can come over soon?" John says quickly.
   I sit up in bed, rubbing my eyes. "Yeah, what's up?"
   John is silent for a bit. "My dad is coming over." he says dreadfully.
   I immediately jump up out of bed. "I'll be over in ten minutes." I say, trying to put pants on.
   I set my phone down and fifty things at once flood my mind. Does John's dad know about me? Will he be ok with me? Will he still be alcoholic? I button my jeans and find a shirt.
   I've got to John's house as soon as possible.
...
   John is sitting on his couch in his living room. His dad will be here any minute. What used to be nervousness turned into fear and dread. He's never met his dad, and hopefully his first time won't be his last.
   His mother sits down beside him, putting a hand on his back. "You nervous sweetie?" she asks concerned.
   All John can say is "Very."
   "We'll be fine." is all she says before they here a car pull up outside.
...
   I finish brushing my teeth and head out the door. I run all the way to John's house. I see an extra car in his driveway.
   He's already here. I walk up to John's front door and take a deep breath. I knock on the door, nervous. I hear voices inside. I hear someone turn the door handle and it opens
   It's John's dad. He's at least six inches taller than me. His fur is a darker orange, not as bright as John's or his mother's. His eyes are a light brown instead green.
   "You must be Kane." he says in a gravelly voice, not even bothering to smile. He steps to the side so I can come in. I walk inside and see John and his mother sitting on the couch. John looks at me and smiles. I can see nervousness in his eyes.
   Let's get this over with.