Chapter 14: New Roof

Everything seems like it's falling apart. I lay on John's bed, my head on his lap. I'm crying my eyes out. I can't go back home. My mom won't let me see Eric.
   But John is here still. He's the only thing that's keeping me living in this depression. I have to keep fighting. For him.
   I sit up, putting my face in my hands. "Where am I going to live now?" I ask John.
   "I figured it was obvious." He says, a pitiful smile on his face. "Here."
   "No, I-I..." I want to object, but there's nowhere else I can stay. I sigh. "Ok. Could I have some alone time?" I ask, hoping I'm asking politely.
   "Of course." he says getting up. He walks over to the door and leaves. Just me and my thoughts now.
   Why would mom bring dad up? Was it to upset me? Will she even let me get my stuff? Will John's family react the same way? I have so many questions running through my head.
   I get up and walk out of John's room. He's not standing outside the doorway. I walk down his hallway and hear voices.
   John and his mom.
   "He really needs a place to stay mom. He has nowhere else to go." I hear John tell his mom.
   There is a pause. "How long do you think he'll stay?" I hear his mom ask.
   "I really don't know. It's pretty bad at his house. Just, please let him stay here. He can sleep in the guest bedroom." John tells his mother.
   "Ok, ok. Just, make sure he feels welcome here." his mom says.
   "I will. I'll go get him and tell him you said yes."
   I hurry back into his room, waiting on him. He walks in, smile on his face. "She said you could stay as long as you needed to."
   I hope so. I might be here a while.