Chapter 31: Prom

I sit in front of my bathroom mirror, looking at myself. Tie looks good, fur nice and neat, no wrinkles in my suit. I have to admit, I looked great.
   I walk out of the bathroom and stroll into the living room. Have to pass "the mom test" before I can go. My mom fixes my tie and fixes my fur up here and there.
   "You look great sweetie." she says with a smile. "Be home before 12 please. And no drinking." she warns.
   "Yes ma'am." I laugh. I didn't plan on drinking anyway, she didn't need to worry about that.
   I hear a knock on the door. Must be John. My mom smiles. "Have fun." she says leaving the room.
   "I will." I open the door and I'm mesmerized. John is standing there, hands in his suit pockets. He has a black suit and a dark green tie. His tie matches his eyes, which glowed green.
   I think my heart skipped a beat. He smiles. "Hey, nice suit."
   "Thanks." I say. "Ready to go?"
   "When you are. Care to take my hand?" he puts his hand in the air, inviting me to hold it.
   "Heh, I sure would." I grab his hand and we start walking to school.
...
   There are so many furs here.
It seems like everyone had come, with or without a date. Even the freshmen were sitting by the front doors of the gym, waiting to see if they can sneak in. I can hear the music from outside.
   I feel nervousness creep into mind instead of excitement. This will probably be the most social interaction I've had all year. Don't make a fool out of myself, have fun, make sure John has fun. How hard can that be?
   I must've looked nervous, because John nudges me before we walk in. "Hey, it'll be ok. We don't have to stay long. Well just dance and leave. That ok?" he asks, trying to calm me.
   I take a deep breath and relax. "Yeah, let's go."
   We walk into the gym and the first thing I notice is the loud music. It's playing some pop music, which I didn't care for.
Then I saw it, the most beautiful table full of food I've ever seen. I see punch, sandwiches, and CHEESECAKE! I almost shed a tear.
   We find Daniel and Meghan on the dance floor. I get several compliments by furs I don't even know, which is good. I ate a whole cheesecake, which has been the highlight of my night so far.
   I'm taking to John at one of the tables. We're practically yelling at each other so we can hear each other over the music. The lights dim a little and a slow song plays.
   John stands up, emotion in his eyes. "Want to dance?"
   "Er, I've never slow danced before." I say, standing up with him.
   "It's easy, look." He puts his hand in mine and another on my hip. "Now just put your hand here." he says as he guides my free hand to his shoulder. "There ya go! Now follow my movements."
   We sway back and forth to the music, going in a circular motion. It's actually easy. We stare into each other's eyes passionately. A smile forms across both our faces.
   After dancing for about a minute, we lean in and kiss. I think it's the best kiss I'll ever have. It seems to end after a few seconds, but I wish it could've lasted forever.
   "Hey, it's getting late." John says. "What time I gotta take you home?"
   I glance down at my watch. 11:49. "Yeah, it is getting late."
   "I'll walk home with you." he says, grabbing my hand. We walk outside and start walking toward my house.