Chapter 29: Soup

Prom is tomorrow. I can hardly contain my excitement. Me and John are walking to my house after school like usual, holding hands and laughing.
   "You got an outfit yet?" I ask John. "Meghan tortured me earlier this week trying to find the perfect suit."
   "Yeah, I'm borrowing a suit from my dad actually." he says. "You excited?"
   "I can hardly wait! It'll be so fun! And we can hang out afterward." I say.
   He puts an arm around me and holds me close. "You know how much I love you?" he asks.
   "Hmm. I don't know. A lot?" I guess.
He laughs. "More. I love you more than chicken nuggets."
   "I seriously have no idea if that was romantic or not dude." I chuckle.
   "It is in my book." he says as we walk up to my house. "I'll pick you up tomorrow. Love you!" He kisses me and starts to walk home.
   "Love you too!" I say back as I walk inside. I walk in through the door put my stuff down.
   I see Eric, struggling to open a can of soup. He's using a knife of all things to attempt to open it. His grunts of effort are pitiful.
   "They make can openers for a reason." I laugh.
   "Shut up, I can do this." he mumbles, stabbing the top of the can again.
   "What are you even trying to accomplish? Cutting yourself?" I ask, opening the fridge, looking for food.
   "They say if you can open a can with only a knife, you can do ANYTHING." he grunts as he continues stabbing.
   "Nobody says that." I say, watching his failure. After watching him struggle for a minute, I sigh. "Here, I'll open it." I say, grabbing the can and knife.
   I stab the can and open it almost effortlessly. "Look, easy." I take the top of the lid off and to my surprise, there isn't soup inside.
   There is a tarantula. I scream and throw the can across the kitchen. Eric starts laughing. "Oh my goodness I can't breath!" he wheezes. "You should've seen the look on your face!"
   "Where did you get a TARANTULA!?" I ask, still trying to calm down.
   He walks over to the can and sticks his hand inside. He pulls out a fake, plastic spider. He's still laughing his head off.
   I start to chuckle, admitting defeat. I have to get him back, and I think I know just how to do it.