Chapter 23: Free Man

I missed my bed. I walk into my room and flop onto it, happy to be home. I sit up and look around my room. I was happy to be home.
   I dug through my bag and grabbed the picture of me and John. I looked at it and smiled. I placed it on my nightstand, where I would always see it.
  I decide to unpack my belongings.
...
   John was doing homework he had been procrastinating when the phone rang. He got up to answer it, but his mom beat him to it.
   He sat back down, thinking about Kane. I hope he's happy, he thinks. His mom knocks on his door. "Come on in." he says, spinning in his office chair.
   John's mom walks in, tears in her eyes. "John, your dad. He..." she started to cry.
   John stands up, wrapping his hands around his mom. "Hey, what's wrong?" he asks concerned.
   She looks at John, eyes filled with emotion. "The prison let your dad free last night. He's coming to visit sometime this week."
   John was stunned. He'd never met his dad, and now he's just gonna show up? John's mom walks out of his room, leaving him alone.
   John didn't know wether to be happy or scared or angry. Yeah, his dad was a drug addict, but maybe the rehab changed him? Should he be mad for him leaving his mom?
   John decided he'd figure it out when his dad got here. He lied down in bed and sighed. This year had been very eventful.