Chapter 20: Checked Out

The next day, someone unexpected visited me. Meghan.
   I was in the hospital bed, reading a book when she knocked. When I saw her, her eyes were red and puffy. She had been crying.
   "Hey Kane, um." she says, hesitating. "Can I talk to you a minute?"
   "Yeah, is everything ok?" I ask, concerned.
   She looks at the floor, hesitant to talk. "I... I'm the reason you got beat up. I've had a crush on you. Duke told me he'd talk you into dating me. I..." she stops, starting to cry.
   I didn't see this coming. I didn't know she was that into me.
   "Can you forgive me?" she cries.
   "Yeah. Yeah I forgive you." I say.
   She stands up and gives me a hug. She squeezes me. I yelp, feeling a pain in my rib. "Sorry." she says, standing back up straight.
...
   John helps me up out of my bed. I'm finally leaving this place. Good. I hate hospitals.
   John's mom is waiting in a car out front. She's smiling. "Are you feeling better?" she asks as I open the back door to get in.
   "I am, thanks." I say back.
   We drive home in silence.
...
   "Take one every 4 hours." John says, handing me my painkillers the doctor prescribed me. "They might make you loopy, so don't drive or anything."
   My rib is killing me. I take the pill and lie down in my bed, hoping to sleep a bit. I fall asleep in minutes.
...
   "Mom, please go see him." Eric begs his mother.
   "No. I refuse to see him or his boyfriend." his mom says, declining the offer for what seems like the hundredth time.
   "But your his mother. You're supposed to care for your child and take care of him!" Eric yells, getting frustrated.
   "He his no longer my son. And if you raise your voice at me again, I won't let you see Kane at all." his mom says, ending the argument.
   Eric sighs and goes to his room. Why can't his mom accept how Kane is? He thinks he'll never understand.