Chapter 30: Snake

Everything was set for the prank. I sit in bed, waiting on Daniel and John to arrive at my house. I needed their help, they had what I needed to prank Eric.
   I look at my watch. 12:42. They're late, they were supposed to be here ten minutes ago. I get up and walk outside my front door, feeling the cool breeze.
   I take my phone out of my pocket and get to playing games. I hear footsteps in the distance. I glance up from my phone and see John and Daniel, jogging up to my house.
   I sigh. "You're late."
   Daniel hands me a paper bag. "Shut up, I couldn't keep it in the bag for a while."
   I open the bag and catch a quick peek at what's inside. Perfect.
   John is looking at the bag, looking concerned. "If Eric screams, will he wake your mom up?" he asks, not taking his eyes off the bag.
   "Nope, I filled her in. She knows to ignore it. I told her he wouldn't get hurt. Wanna come watch?" I ask.
   Daniel shakes his head. "I don't want him to hate me. I'll see you at prom tomorrow." he says turning to walk home. "Good luck."
   "I'm staying." John says.
   "Great, let's get started then. Hold the bag." I hand the bag to John and we walk inside.
   I open Eric's door slowly, trying not to make a sound. I peek inside and see Eric sleeping. Perfect.
   "Bag please." I whisper, holding a hand out. John hands me the bag and I walk into the room. I kneel beside the bed, right near Eric's chest. I open the bag and dump it out right beside him.
   A snake falls out. It's still alive, thank goodness. It looks at me with it's black, unblinking eyes. I shudder and walk back to John.
   "Ok, now we just need to wake him up." I whisper.
   "Are you sure it's not gonna bite him?" John asks.
   "Yes, it's just a corn snake. It won't bite unless Eric tries to hurt it." I pick up a small pillow. "Perfect." I hurl the pillow at Eric's feet, so I don't disturb the snake.
   His snoring stops. "Meh." he groans. He sits up in bed and turns his lamp on. He doesn't even notice the snake. He looks to me and John, rubbing his eyes. "What?"
Me and John and standing there, trying to hold our laughter in.
   Eric looks over to his side and sees the snake, coiled up, looking at him. He screams and falls out of his bed, landing on his back.
   Me and John can't hold our laughter in any longer. We start laughing hysterically, hardly breathing. Eric is on the floor peeking up beside the bed, looking at the snake.
   He looks over to me. "Get rid of it." he says quietly. "I want to go back to sleep."
I carefully put the snake back in the bag.  "Goodnight Eric." I say cheerfully. "Don't let the bedbugs bite."
   "Whatever." Eric mumbles, back in bed, turning his lamp off
Me and John are standing outside, still laughing. "Hey, I need to head home. I need my beauty sleep so I look good at prom tomorrow." he says.
   "Thanks for helping me. What are you gonna do with the snake?" I ask.
   "No idea. I'll figure something out. Goodnight!" he says giving me a kiss.
   "Goodnight." I say back, walking inside. I need sleep too, prom is tomorrow and I need to look good.