Chapter 34: Forever

My phone vibrating wakes me up from my half nap. I rub my eyes and feel for my pocket. I rub my eyes and look at the caller I.D. John.
   "Hello?" I mutter.
   "Dude, Meghan and Daniel are seeing a movie tonight and they wanted to know if we wanted to do a double date." he says. "I understand if you're too tired from last night."
   I sit up. "Nah, what time?" I'm still half asleep.
   "Six."
   "I'll be there." I set my phone down. I'm actually excited, despite being exhausted from last night. Setting this movie will be like our first date. That was the beginning of this school year, now it's getting close to ending and we've been dating for 8 months.
   I look at my watch. 10:40. Meh, I gotta find something to do. I pull out my phone and go straight to YouTube, the perfect time waster. I find a video of people falling and decide to entertain myself.
...
   After watching videos for just about 6 hours straight, I decide to get ready for the double date tonight. I jump into the shower, brush my teeth, brush my fur, and get dressed.
   "Later Eric. Be good. Mom should be home in about an hour." I say, walking out the door.
   "Kay." I hear Eric yell from the other room. I step out and feel the nice, spring breeze. Feels great. I start walking toward the movie theater.
...
   John is already there. He's standing at the entrance, lolling at the movies playing. I sneak up behind him and wrap my arms around him. "Hey John."
   He laughs and turns around, facing me. "Hey, you doing good?" he asks, kissing me on the cheek.
   "Yeah, I'm actually very tired from last night, but I'm good. I don't want to miss this movie."
   "Well neither Daniel or Meghan have shown up yet. Whatchya wanna do?" he asks, looking at his watch.
   I know exactly what I want to do. "Air hockey. Maybe you can beat me this time?" I taunt.
   "Oh you're on." he says, dragging me into the arcade. As we insert our quarters, I feel the same rush of excitement I felt on our first date. The familiar feeling didn't leave, and I embraced it.
   John manages to beat me. I sit there, defeated. John throws his hand into the air. "Woooo! I'm the greatest!" he yells.
   I can only smile. Everything seems so perfect right now.
   Meghan and Daniel show up eventually and we have to decide on a movie. Meghan points her finger at one particular movie. "That one is supposed to be really good!" she says. "It's a romance, but it has some action to keep you guys entertained."
   I shrug. "Why not." We grab our popcorn and walk into our movie. The theater is cold, just like last time. We sit down and the previews start.
   I'm sharing a bowl of popcorn with John. I reach to grab a handful and I feel his hand underneath mine. I look over to him and he's smiling. He flips his hand over and his my hand.
   I can't stop smiling. This is perfect. All of it.
   As if it wasn't cold enough, the air conditioning turns on. I'm freezing. I scoot over in my seat, trying to get as close to John as possible. He wraps his arms around me, surrounding me in warmth.
I look beside us and Daniel and Meghan are doing the same thing. Daniel flashes me a thumbs up.
   The movie goes on for a bit. Meghan was right, there was enough action to keep is entertained. As the movie ends, the main character kisses his mistress. The classic "kissing scene."
   Me and John look at each other. I can tell what he's thinking before he makes a move. I lean in and place my lips against his, making sure out lasts ad long as possible.
   I was wrong. This was the best time of my life. As we sit there, kissing on each other's arms, I realize just how perfect everything was, and how I wanted it to last forever.
   Of course, it doesn't. After a couple seconds, our kiss ends. I lean my head on his chest, trying to get as warm as possible. The movie ends after a few more minutes and we get up to leave.
   Daniel and Meghan say goodbye and leave me and John alone. John looks at me and smiles. "How ya feeling?"
   "I feel amazing." I tell him. "John, I love you." I say, hugging him.
   "I love you too. Don't ever forget that." he says. I look up onto his eyes. He stares back at me. "John, I-," I stammer. "I don't want things to change."
   He looks at me, a warm smile across his face. "Nothing is gonna change. I promise, I'll love you until I die."
   I smile. "Forever?" I ask.
   "Forever." He leans in and kisses me. "I'll see you at school?" he asks as our kiss ends.
   "Yeah. I'll see you at school." I hug him goodbye and I start to walk home.
   My life had so little meaning until I met John. The second I saw him I knew I loved him. He's changed my life, gave it meaning.
   I feel like nothing can compare to this date, but I know something will eventually be better. After all, me and John have all summer to look forward to.
   And I know one thing for sure, John and I were staying together.
   Forever.