FORTY ONE 🌸

"HI LIAM

"HI LIAM." An overly smiley lady greeted only him at the door, he grunted in response and pulled Olivia closer to him by the waist for protection or something.

"Are we invisible?" Jordan asked her, getting no response.

In the day Lakeland's grand hall was set up with assembly chairs all pointing towards a podium for Principal Moore.

Right now it was unrecognisable, draped in fancy linens and sparkling chandeliers. It would appear no expense was spared when dressing for this event, ironic considering we were here to raise funds.

We got guided to an individual circular table that had a long vase filled with beautiful white lilies in the centre and scattered crystals around the cloth.

"I'm starving." Arlo mouthed, fidgeting in his seat.

I could see people from all over the room eyeballing us. Admittedly, it was something I had gotten used to because it happened whenever Liam was around. But this time was different. They were looking at Cam.

"You okay?" I asked and he smiled back at me genuinely.

"Better than I expected to be, I actually feel really... empowered." His response calmed me.

I hated to think people were thinking negatively about him just because he felt more comfortable wearing a dress.

Instantly my fathers homophobic slurs crashed into my skull and I drowned in guilt for even thinking them. I hated those intrusive thoughts, always spoken in his voice. Manipulating my beliefs. I washed them away with a sip of sparkling water.

"I can't." Arlo slapped his palms down on the table and stood up. The frantic movement startled me and he almost tipped over the vase in the middle with how powerful his bang was. Everyone watched him disappear into the crowd of people towards the buffet.

He hadn't spoken to me at all, except for the insult on the way here.

"Oh, the principal's coming over. Quick come help me get the drinks in at the bar Liv, he always tells me how badly behaved Arlo is." Tia got up quick and grabbed Olivias hand, both of them making a quick escape.

"Mr Maines, so nice of you to join us this evening for Lakeland's charity event." Our principal joined us at the table and shook hands with Liam gracefully.

He looked like a tyrant, the bushiness of eyebrows took over his whole face and I couldn't stop looking at the grey wiry hairs protruding from his nostrils. You'd think he'd prune himself for an event like this, but I guess not.