Jugrat

"Hey, I have to go."

Cheryl scowls as Toni approaches her, "Excuse me?"

"Official Serpents meeting or something. Normally, I'd be okay with skipping but FP called it and he almost never calls a meeting." Toni explains in a breathless tone. "I'm sorry, babe."

"TT, you can't miss a Vixens practice..."

"You can just show me the moves later on. Give me a private show." Toni smirks, and Cheryl shudders in silent anticipation. "I promise this won't happen again. I'll see you at home."

"Fine."

Cheryl tries to stay angry, but she can't when Toni's lips nuzzle against the corner of her mouth. Just like every time before, Cheryl settles as she presses her blunt nails into the material of Toni's practice shorts. She hates when Toni leaves for meetings, she knows exactly what meetings are. It means that later on she's going to be cleaning cuts and icing bruises, it means a late night of pacing through Thistlehouse and counting down the minutes. It means that there's a chance that her girlfriend won't be returned to her at all, and that thought makes her heart split and her skin crawl.

"Take me with you." Cheryl orders.

Toni tenses in her arms, "Absolutely fucking not."

"Why?"

"Because you're...I can't." Toni replies as she pulls away from Cheryl. "You know I can't. Please, Cher. Don't ask me to put you in danger ever again, alright?"

"You're always with them." Cheryl snaps.

"Because they're my family. Besides you, they're all I have. They raised me." Toni whispers. "I know this isn't ideal, but this is my life. Please don't try to change that."

Cheryl sighs heavily, "I love you."

"I love you, too. I'll see you soon."

The other Vixens mill around and watch as Toni grabs her bag and disappears from the gym. Cheryl can already feel the eyes on her and she knows what they're all thinking, they're waiting for her to explode or to explain why she has a soft spot for their newest cheerleader. But she won't. It doesn't concern them. So, Cheryl channels her frustration and takes it out on the other girls; their drills are run until they're perfect, they run twice as many laps, and one girl literally bursts into tears of excitement when Cheryl finally allows them to leave.

By the time she's in the shower, her entire mind churns with questions she constantly asks herself. Questions she wants to ask Toni. She wants to know everything there is to know about her girlfriend, she wants to know how she became who she is. She wants to know why Sweet Pea guards her, why she shows up in Fangs flannels sometimes, and why it's damn near impossible to pull them apart. They're attached at the hip, and Cheryl has found that Fangs and Sweet Pea have pretty much moved into her guest rooms.

Cheryl doesn't understand them, she hasn't had a connection like they do. Not even with Jason. Sweet Pea looks at Toni like she holds every answer in the world and Fangs listens to Toni like her voice is a delicate as a sirens. Sometimes Cheryl can't stand it, it makes her ache in an unfamiliar way. She never has had to share before, even when she was young and Jason was alive, their parents away bought two of everything. But Toni? There's no way to split her in half or find something to occupy her Serpent family. Nope, Cheryl has just learned to share.

"Stupid meetings." Cheryl huffs.

The locker room is empty and she's alone when her phone goes off, and she's a little ashamed by how fast she dives for it. As soon as she sees Toni's contact information, her heart soars and her breath catches. She's always afraid of this part, of opening the text and seeing whether or not it's from FP telling her to meet them at some rundown shack so she can pick up a concussed Toni. All she wants is her girlfriend back, she just wants to kiss her and leave marks where others can't see.