Veronica

Veronica loves Cheryl.

Much to the shock and displeasure of some, Veronica has found a home in Cheryl Blossom. They've found a home in each other; two broken pieces cut from the same cloth and stitched together in a beautiful blend. So, Veronica rebuilds her entire fucked up world in Cheryl's hands. She pushes away her past and starts a new life in Riverdale, builds that life beside Cheryl. They're not perfect by any means, but they're something and Veronica is happy with that. And Cheryl is too. They break down each other's walls and offer light to the dark parts of themselves that go bump in the night. They take those shattered pieces of themselves and slowly glue them back together. It's perfect. They're good, they're solid.

Except they're not.

They slowly begin to chip when the Southside slither their way into the Northside. They begin to crumble when Cheryl finds new friends, smiles for reasons that don't involve Veronica. And eventually, within a few months time, they explode. And the person holding the dynamite is the princess of the Serpents, Toni Topaz. Toni, with her bright smile and wide brown eyes, slowly begins to pry Veronica's fingers open so she can slowly and carefully pluck each piece of Cheryl's heart from her grasp. She takes Cheryl's friendship from her, her smile, her laugh, and everything that makes Veronica's world rotate; and Veronica wants to hate her, but she can't because Toni doesn't even know she's doing it.

On a Friday, after a grueling Vixens practice, Veronica changes in silence as the locker room slowly begins to empty out. She expects Cheryl to approach her and kiss her neck, whisper that they're finally alone. Instead her girlfriend is straddling one of the benches with her phone in her hands and a look of something shining in her eyes. Veronica feels it coming before it happens, she feels the exact moment Cheryl releases her. She tries to steady herself for the inevitable, and Cheryl has an unreadable expression as she stands and slowly approaches her. Veronica drinks her in, takes in the red shine of her lips and how her eyelashes pillow so softly on her cheeks when she looks down. Veronica reaches for Cheryl's hand and squeezes, but her hand stays limp in her grasp and Veronica knows they've reached their end.

"Ronnie..."

"You don't have to say anything, I know." Veronica assures her as she bites her lower lip. "All I want to know is why?"

"It doesn't feel right anymore. We were...it was so good, and you changed so much of my life but I can't do this anymore." Cheryl whispers as she looks down at their hands. "You and I had a good thing, but that's over. I want you to be happy, Ronnie. I just...I can't be the reason for that happiness anymore. I'm sorry."

Veronica holds onto her hand for as long as she can as Cheryl steps towards the door, "Cheryl, wait. Please, don't go..."

Cheryl looks back at her and Veronica sees that the spark she used to put in those dark eyes is gone, all she sees now is pity. Veronica loves her. God she loves Cheryl so much, and nobody should fault her for trying; she wants to have Cheryl for as long as she can. But Cheryl pulls her hand away, and it sorta feels like somehow she is taking that last piece of her heart from Veronica's hands so she can offer it to someone else. And she knows exactly who that someone is. Veronica can only hope and pray that Toni takes care of it, she'll never know and Veronica will never tell, but every time she wraps her arms around Cheryl then she'll be holding her whole world.

"Please don't do this..."

"Goodbye, Ronnie."

And just like that, her life shatters alongside her heart.

-

Three weeks later, Veronica sees Cheryl kiss Toni against the lockers in the hallway; Betty tries to keep her from watching, but it's like a car crash...and she's the unsuspecting victim.