Chapter One

Kagami looked at the door of her new classroom. This was her first day as a high school student and any normal girl would have felt a mixture of excitment and nerves. All Kagami could feel was slight annoyance. There would be people in this class who didn't know her or her reputation and some of them might try to befriend her. She would be forced to talk to them in order to let them know that she wasn't interested in making friends. Some of them would be offended but Kagami couldn't care less. It wasn't her fault that people were such big babies.

Sighing inwardly, she reluctantly pushed open the door and walked in. Kagami had gotten to school early so that she could find a place to sit before anyone tried to bother her. Because of this, the only other person in the room was a girl with short, messy brown hair and thick glasses. The girl was reading a book but glanced up when Kagami walked into the room. Kagami gave her an indifferent look and headed for the back of the classroom. That way, the teacher couldn't call on her to answer any questions. Kagami wasn't afraid of getting the answer wrong, she just didn't want to be bothered by anyone, including the teacher.

Picking a desk in the back corner, Kagami dropped her bag and sat down. She then followed the sloppy girl's example and pulled out a book. It would help pass the time until class started and would hopefully prevent any annoyances from talking to her. And although she would never admit it to anyone, Kagami loved to read. Books helped her escape from her reality for a while and forget about everything that was wrong with her life.

Kagami was just beginning to really get absorbed in her book when the classroom door opened and two very familiar, (not to mention irritating), voices reached her ears. Reluctantly lifting her eyes, Kagami groaned inwardly as she saw the Hitachiin twins enter the room. Why did they have to be in the same class as her? She had been able to avoid them all through junior high by taking the drastic step of going to a completely different school and had hoped that she would be able to continue avoiding them for at least the first year of high school. It seemed the fates had other ideas though.

As soon as the twins set eyes on her, they grinned and began walking in her direction. Kagami hastily lowered her eyes back to her book and hoped that they would let her read in peace. Of course, because she wanted them to leave her alone, the twins had to do just the opposite of that. A hand reached out and pulled her book away and Kagami found herself glaring into two pairs of amber eyes.

"Hi. I'm Hikaru." The one on the left said.

"And I'm Kaoru." The one on the right interjected.

"We're the Hitachiin twins!" They sang in unison.

"I don't care." Kagami said in a cold voice. "Give me my book back."

The Hitachiin twins looked surprised at her cold attitude. They were used to being the indifferent ones. No one else had ever acted that way to them before. But then their looks of shock turned into amused grins.

"I bet she's just acting cold because she's embarassed. What do you think Kaoru?"

"Yeah. I bet she's just never met such good looking guys before and doesn't know how to act."

They smirked and Kagami had to fight to keep her emotions in check.

"If I did get intimidated by handsome guys I still wouldn't be acting any different because of you two." Kagami kept her voice as indifferent as possible. "Now give me my book back."

"Okay, we'll give it back to you." Kaoru said.

"But you have to tell us your name first." Hikaru finished.

"No."

They looked confused by her blunt answer.

"We won't give you your book until you tell us your name." Kaoru insisted.

Kagami shrugged. "I don't care. It's just a book. I have hundreds more at home and I can always just buy a new copy anyway. You can keep it."

And with that, Kagami picked up her bag and moved to a desk near the front of the classroom, leaving two stunned twins in her wake. As she set down her bag for the second time that day, Kagami tried hard not to groan in frustration. This was going to be a very long year.