Chapter Fifty

After almost three weeks of being severely ill, Kagami was quickly determining that being an invalid was something that she had no desire to experience again anytime soon. It was awful. There were several reasons why being ill was an absolutely terrible experience. First of all, being sick itself was not enjoyable. There was the constant need to take medicine and the constant aches and pains in her body and the non-stop tiredness, and so much more that made being ill just dreadful. 

Next, there was the fact that Kagami was stuck on the couch constantly with nothing to do but read books and do homework. Normally Kagami didn't mind reading books, but when that was all she did for hours on end and she never get to get up and move around, never got to exercise, it got really old really fast. She really missed being able to run, being able to feel the ground flying under her feet as she pushed herself to the limits and she soared passed buildings and people alike. The freedom she felt when she ran was definitely one of the things that she missed the most.

But, the one thing that Kagami most disliked about being sick was the visitors. Of course, she didn't mind all of her visitors, some of them were quite pleasant in fact, it was just certain visitors that managed to grate on her nerves.

Hikaru and Kaoru actually came to visit her the most, which was surprising. They spent hours and hours talking to her, or doing puzzles with her when she didn't have the energy to talk, or helping her with her homework when her illness or her medication made her brain slow and muddled. For the most part, their visits were actually quite pleasant. Kagami enjoyed exchanging her usual banter with them when she was feeling up to it, and they kept her entertained with hilarious stories about their classmates. They only ever slightly annoyed her when they visited her by themselves.

Mori's visits, Kagami looked forward to. He didn't usually say much, but just having his presence there was comforting. He did like to pamper her though, which Kagami found vastly amusing. He was always readjusting her pillows, asking her if she wanted more blankets, getting her food and water, and he would often bring her books to read and new sweets for her to try. It was like he was a mother fussing over her child. It was even worse when Mori brought Honey with him because then Honey would try to be helpful too by bringing Kagami huge amounts of candy that she was never going to be able to eat, or trying to stuff her face with ice cream. Once time, he had even brought over a massive amount of stuffed animals and surrounded her with them so that she "wouldn't be lonely". It really was a good thing that Kagami decided to find the whole situation amusing instead of extremely frustrating.

Haruhi also came over to visit somewhat frequently, which Kagami hadn't expected at all. She brought Kagami notes from class, and they would spend hours doing homework together. Haruhi was smart enough that doing homework with her was a pleasant experience, and the two of them worked well together. Her notes were also easy to read, and Kagami really appreciated all of the effort the other girl had gone through for her, especially since Haruhi had been under no obligation to do so.

"It's no problem." Haruhi had said when Kagami had thanked her one afternoon. "Writing down notes for you helps me to review the materials, and you're so smart that I think you're helping me with the homework more than I'm helping you Kagami. You should come by my house sometime and we should do this again."

Kagami was definitely going to take Haruhi up on that offer. She would have a lot more fun doing homework and studying at Haruhi's house than she would at her own.

Now, those visits from members of the host club were the ones that Kagami could tolerate. The others . . . weren't quite so bearable.

Tamaki never came by himself. He either came along with the twins, or he dragged the rest of the host club along with him. Both of those situations were equally undesirable. When he came with the twins, even though Kagami knew that they did try to be on their best behavior, they always ended up spending the entirety of the visits arguing with each other. It usually ended up giving Kagami a severe headache and drained all of her limited energy as well. One time, when Keiko wasn't home, they spent thirty minutes quarreling about who was better suited to help Kagami with her homework, and the argument had gotten so heated that Kagami had been forced to drive them out of Keiko's apartment by throwing all of the stuffed animals Honey had left behind at them one after another. Keiko had taken one look at the mess when she had gotten home, looked at Kagami's exhausted face, and wisely decided not to ask any questions.