Chapter Fifty-Two

For what felt like the hundredth time, Kagami had to fight back a smile as she remembered her conversation with Mori earlier. The konpeito was sitting in her bag and every time she thought about it, she felt warmth bubbling up in her chest and a smile threatened to form. But she was still in class, and smiling wasn't allowed, although class would be over in a few minutes. Maybe once she was in the car on the way home she would permit herself to smile a little. Although before she could even think about going home, Kagami needed to borrow someone's notes.

She had been able to focus more after lunch. Mori's conversation had really helped her get some of her energy back.  But she still needed the notes from that morning. Haruhi still seemed like the best option to her. For one, she was smart and her notes were well organized, and for another, she was one of the only people besides Hikaru and Kaoru who actually talked to her without running away.

As soon as class ended, Kagami walked over to Haruhi. "Hey Haruhi." She said.

"Hey Kagami." Haruhi said, giving her a small smile. "What's up?"

"I was hoping I could borrow your notes." Kagami said, a sheepish note in her voice as she fiddled with the end of her ponytail. "I wasn't exactly paying attention in class this morning."

"Yeah, you were looking a little pale this morning." Haruhi replied. "But you seem better now. I'm glad."

"Thanks." Kagami said. "So is it alright if I borrow your notes? I promise I'll give them back by tomorrow morning."

Haruhi looked thoughtful for a moment and then her eyes brightened up. "I have a better idea." She said. "How about you come over to my house? That way you can copy my notes and we can study together if you want. You're the best study partner I've ever had."

"Oh . . ." Kagami said, her mind racing. Haruhi wanted her to come over to her house? That would give her the perfect excuse to avoid going back to her house for a few more hours, but it also meant she would be going over to Haruhi's house. If Tamaki ever found out that she had gone to Haruhi's house before him, he would throw a fit. And there was the risk that Kagami could possibly meet Haruhi's father, which she wasn't prepared for at all. But at the same time, Haruhi was a lot of fun to study with and Kagami really wanted to go. And she blamed it on her lack of sleep, but Kagami let her wants override her common sense.

"Sure." Kagami said. "I'd love to come over to your house to study. You're one of the best study partners I've ever had too."

"Thanks." Haruhi said with a smile. "Are you fine with walking? I don't exactly have a limo. And no offense, but I think showing up in your limo in my neighborhood would cause a bit of an uproar."

Kagami could just imagine the kind of chaos showing up in a fancy limo in Haruhi's neighborhood would cause and she definitely didn't want that kind of attention.

"I'm fine with walking." Kagami said with a smirk. "Unlike some people, I won't faint just because of a little exercise. I'll just let my driver know and we can be on our way."

"Okay." Haruhi responded. "Let's go."

Together they walked out of the school, talking about their homework assignments and the upcoming test. Kagami informed her driver that she would be studying with a friend and would be home late. Her driver looked between her and Haruhi, and Kagami just knew he was getting the wrong idea, but she also knew that her parents would never find out that the friend she was studying with was a male, even though Haruhi actually wasn't male.

"I'll inform your parents that you are studying with a friend." Her driver responded. "Make sure you call me when you're done and I'll come pick you up."