Chapter Thirty-One

The next morning, Kagami was actually smiling as she left for school. Her mother had ranted at her for several hours, and had slapped her a couple of times, but not even the stinging in her cheeks was enough to dampen her mood. She was just so happy that her mother was lecturing her because Hotaru stood up for her that she didn't even care. And this morning, when she woke up and realized that she would still be able to see Hotaru today, she had actually been excited to go to school.

But when Kagami got out of her limo, the smile slipped from her face. In front of her she could see hair that was flaming pink and neon blue. So Hikaru and Kaoru were still fighting. Great.

"Hikaru, Kaoru." She said as she walked up to them. "How is your fight going?"

"It would be going better if you had let us continue through class time." Hikaru grumbled.

"I thought you promised not to interfere!" Kaoru accused.

"I didn't tell anyone that you were only pretending to fight." Kagami protested. "And besides, even though I promised not to interfere, that doesn't mean I'm going to let you act crazy during class. I came here to learn, not to watch the two of you goof off."

"That's no fun at all!" Hikaru huffed.

"Tough." Kagami replied bluntly. "You're just going to have to deal with it. But I want you to know that I meant what I said, I'm not going to tell anyone you're pretending to fight. Even if Kyoya tries to offer me another deal."

"Wait, Kyoya tried to bribe you?" Kaoru said.

"Yep." Kagami replied. "He found out that I got you two to stop fighting during class and he wanted me to do the same thing during the host club. And he offered me something really tempting."

"What did he offer you?" Hikaru asked curiously.

"That's not something I'm going to tell you two." Kagami replied archly.

"So if he offered you something you wanted," Kaoru said thoughtfully, "why didn't you take him up on his offer?"

"I was busy." Kagami replied with a shrug.

"You? Busy?" Hikaru said incredulously. "I didn't think that was possible."

"Well it is." Kagami said, slightly annoyed. "Hotaru came over to my house yesterday."

"Oh?" The twins asked, eyes suddenly full of curiosity. "So you actually do let people come over to your house."

"You know," Kaoru said casually, flinging an arm around Kagami's shoulders. "The whole reason we started this fight in the first place was to get Haruhi to let us come to her house."

"But if you agree to let us come to your house instead, we'll stop." Hikaru added, throwing his arm over her shoulders as well. "We want to know what kind of place you grew up in."

Immediately, Kagami shoved their arms off of her. It didn't bother her quite as much when they touched her now, but she wasn't going to let them know that. "Serioiusly?" She said in disbelief. "The reason you're having this fight is because you want to go to Haruhi's house?"

"Yep." The twins replied, smiling mischievously.

"But like we said," Hikaru added, "we'd settle for your house instead."

"That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard!" Kagami exclaimed. "And I would rather die than let you two anywhere near my house!"

"Too bad." Hikaru said with a dramatic sighed.

"Guess we'll have to keep fighting then." Kaoru added.

"That's fine by me!" Kagami snapped as she whirled around and walked quickly to class.