Chapter Forty-Two

Staring at her desk in bewilderment, Kagami tried hard not to show her surprise. There was a blue book with gold gilding sitting on her desk. A blue ribbon was tied across the left top corner, and the words Debauve & Gallais were written in gold on the side. Except, this wasn't a book. It was just a box designed to looked like one. Tentatively, Kagami untied the ribbon and opened the container, curious about what was inside. This time, it was much harder to hide her surprise. The box was full of . . . chocolates. And very expensive ones by the looks of it.

Of course, instead of being thrilled by the prospect of receiving the delicious looking chocolates, Kagami was filled with suspicion. Why would somebody want to give her chocolates? The only reasons Kagami could think of were not good ones, and part of her wondered if someone in the school with a grudge against her had put something in the chocolates. Of course, if she was going to give a person tainted chocolate, she would have done it with much cheaper chocolates. But then again, she didn't think like a typical rich kid, so she couldn't completely discard that possibility.

"It's a peace offering." That annoyingly arrogant voice made Kagami tense in anger. Turning, she saw Kyoya lounging in the doorway of her classroom.

"You think attempting to make me fat counts as a peace offering?" Kagami asked coldly.

Kyoya gave a careless shrug as he walked towards her desk. "Girls like this sort of thing, don't they?"

"Seriously?" Kagami said with a scornful laugh. "I can't believe those words just left your mouth. This is the absolute worst peace offering I've ever seen in my life. I thought you were better than this Kyoya." 

Another careless shrug from Kyoya, and Kagami was strongly overcome with the urge to punch him in the face. 

"It was a first attempt." Kyoya said. 

"A first attempt?" Kagami said in disbelief. "Please tell me that you're not going to try again!"

"Of course I am." Kyoya replied. "You see, I've come to the realization that I would rather not have you as an enemy."

"It might be too late for that." Kagami replied coldly. "Especially if this," she said, holding up the chocolates, "is the best you've got. Were you even trying?"

"I figured it would be best to start with something generic to gauge your reaction." Kyoya explained, pushing his glasses up the bridge of his nose. "Based on the results, I will be able to find something else that is more to your liking."

"I see." Kagami said slowly. 

As she spoke, images of possible peace offerings Kyoya might try to give her flashed in her mind and she couldn't help but grimace. She wouldn't be able to keep anything he gave her, even on the off chance that she actually liked it, since Hiroto would take anything Kagami brought home. The things Kyoya offered her would most likely be expensive, and Kagami was appalled at the thought of wasting so much money, although it was obvious that Kyoya didn't seem as concerned about it as she was if the chocolates were any indication.

Kagami was now faced with a dilemma. The thought of forgiving Kyoya for what he had done to her did not appeal to her at all. Kagami wanted to make him pay for the way he had hurt her. But at the same time, the thought of having Kyoya constantly coming by her classroom, giving her expensive gifts and bothering her, was equally unappealing. She wasn't planning on letting Kyoya completely off the hook, but she also didn't want to deal with anymore of his peace offerings.

Suddenly, an idea started forming in Kagami's mind. Kyoya had resources that she didn't. If Kagami played her cards right, she could take advantage of that in the future. And with what she was planning to do after high school, having someone like Kyoya on her side would be very, very useful. But she wasn't quite ready to put her idea into action. She needed to be a lot less mad for that to happen.